Lavenders_Blue

Dew Claw Drama

The stitches came out this morning :D

Tango wasn't too bad at the vets, not as bad as last time anyway, so maybe there's been a little bit of progress. The vet nurse and I posted lots of treats down her mouth which seemed to help a bit :lol:

The wounds are looking a bit pink and sore but have scabbed over nicely, so we can resume normals walks now which is a relief.

One of the wounds has some swelling at one end, but the vet nurse thought it was where one of the stitches was irritating and that it will go down now the stitches are out. I shall just keep an eye on it.

All in all, the vet seems to have done an excellent job and the recovery wasn't as bad as I feared.

I knew this was all going too well to be true :roll: Both dew claw wounds have been healing beautifully with scabs more or less disappeared and fur growing back over the wounds. :roll: Why oh why then did Tango decide to gnaw at one of the wounds this morning making it all pink, sore and weepy? Grrrrrrrrr! I've had to cover it with gauze and vet wrap to stop her worrying at it further and she's now waving her paw dramatically in the air.

How did I manage to make it this far without her being interested in nibbling her wounds only for her to ruin it all just as it was pretty much all better?! What a pest! :lol:

Perhaps it was itching slightly as it healed.

I use Derma Gel on wounds; it seems to help them to heal quickly and encourages hair re-growth too. Cyrus is dreadful for licking and nibbling at wounds and would create lick granulomas if left to his own devices. Luckily he hates tiger balm, so I use that in tiny dabs near the wound. I tried a close-fitting vest and an inflatable collar but neither worked as well as this combo.

It seems to work very well, I have used it on the cats and bunnies too... one of the rabbits has an allergy (don't know what to) and her ears get very sore; this cleared them up.

I'd wash the site, apply Derma Gel, then a non-stick dressing and some vet wrap. Just check the vet wrap frequently to make sure it's not too tight as this can cause sores.

Is it widely available or do I need to buy it online? I've found a few places selling it online, but of course it would be better if I can pop out and buy it today. Am being careful with the gauze and vetwrap as the vet nurses did warn me not to do it too tight in case it cut off the circulation to her paws! :shock:

Just be a little careful that you don't draw her attention to the area more by putting on any creams etc :think: Saline bathing if it is a little pink is a good idea, drying well afterwards. She shouldn't really need an awful lot else. The more you 'mess' with it, the more she will obsess :wink:

I knew this was all going too well to be true :roll: Both dew claw wounds have been healing beautifully with scabs more or less disappeared and fur growing back over the wounds. :roll: Why oh why then did Tango decide to gnaw at one of the wounds this morning making it all pink, sore and weepy? Grrrrrrrrr! I've had to cover it with gauze and vet wrap to stop her worrying at it further and she's now waving her paw dramatically in the air.

How did I manage to make it this far without her being interested in nibbling her wounds only for her to ruin it all just as it was pretty much all better?! What a pest! :lol:

Sometime just because things look okay from the outside doesn't mean all is well on the inside. Things can heal too quickly, scabbing over and trapping in something that shouldn't be there. In some circumstances I am a firm believer in picking scabs, it makes sure there are no nasties trapped in underneath.

If she's make it sore a weepy, then there was something to weep. If she were mine I wouldn't cover it up, I would give it a good wash with hibiscrub, dry off and a good puff of wound powder.

Thanks all, I do understand the wisdom of leaving the wound be, but she is obsessively licking it now it's weeping :? I don't think it's going to heal if she keeps licking at it. I'll give it the weekend to improve but pop her back to the vets on Monday if I have any concerns about the healing.

Dew claws can be useful for agility dogs but a painful nuisance for the rest, Ours have theirs removed

when they are puppies as working dogs catch them very easily.

Don't tell me that - I've been thinking of trying agility with Tango!

It looks like it's drying out a bit this morning, so I've given it a quick saline wash and dabbed just a little Johnson's Tea Tree cream on and left it uncovered. So far so good, but I've got to go out for a couple of hours later this morning and then again this evening, so might just loosely cover it to discourage nibbling while I'm not around to supervise.

ETA - Possibly a stupid question, but can dogs have eczema? It's just occurred to me that's exactly what this wound looks like and might explain why it's not drying out and healing easily. If so, what do I do about it? Keep clean with saline until vets on Monday? Dress or not dress it?

They can get eczema but it sounds like a bit of self trauma to me. I would lightly cover it while you are out if she will leave the dressing alone, you can then take it off and leave it open to the air when you get back. I would continue to saline bath if pink and oozing but keep dry and open as much as you can. I wouldn't put anything else on personally as it may in itself when applied to the skin direct cause irritation. :think: Sometimes (rarely) a couple of small soluble stitches are put in beneath the skin in addition to the one that are in the skin itself. These can cause irritation and can take some time to dissolve. You should be able to gently feel these if she has them (or the vet can tell you). If this is the case she may bother it for a while. It is more likely though that she was irritation caused by hair regrowth and healing skin.

Thanks CM. Yes there were some dissolveable stitches put in so perhaps that is what is irritating.

ah, could well be that then. The skin around that area is quite thin and there is not much tissue around there so these little stitches can be irritating as they rub on the underside of the healed skin and can end up breaking through a small hole that they + dog can create. Sadly they can take ages to dissolve. If it persists to a degree that this happens the vets may need to make a small incision to snip out the stitches beneath. If you feel gently with your finger you may be able to feel whether they are obvious enough to be causing her an issue.

CM you are a star! There are definitely a couple of tiny holes in the wound (since she made it sore again). I'm not going to prod around just yet to feel if there's anything underneath as it's clearly very sore and she doesn't like me handling her paws anyway. However I would not be at all surprised if she has yanked them out by herself :roll: There is certainly nothing visible as I have had a close look. Will keep an eye on things and pop her back for a check up if needs be. I assumed that the stitches dissolve down quite quickly - obviously not the case!