Lavenders_Blue

Dew Claw Drama

Thanks DM. She's fine this morning - slept for England last night and didn't even stir when I went to let the chickens out this morning. She's just been out for a wee, wolfed down her breakfast and is now fast asleep again :D I'm pleased she's keeping herself quiet (for the time being at least) she needs to rest and heal.

Bandages off today :D Tango was a total drama llama though - you would have thought the vet nurse was trying to cut her leg off, not the bandage!

Thankfully the wounds are healing very nicely so didn't need to be re-dressed. She has got some boots instead (which make her look like a boxer :lol: ) to cover the wounds when she is out and about although we have discovered that they are only really fit for plodding about in the garden and not going out for walks as they don't fit very well. Vet Wrapped the wounds instead for a short walk this afternoon to keep the muck out and washed with saline when we got back. Hopefully that should do the trick. Stitches out next Tuesday all being well.

Any tips on how to keep her still and calm when we go back? Poor vet nurse had a dreadful job getting the bandages off as Tango was struggling so much (despite me having her more or less in a head lock). I think she's going to have a job keeping her still enough to remove the stitches.

Thanks DM, that's really helpful. I will hop over to You Tube and take a look at TTouch and have a practice before next Tuesday.

Poor girl was so stressed :( She used to be fine at the vets when we first got her, but since then she's been in quite a number of times to have something unpleasant done and of course now she hates going. She wouldn't even let the receptionist make a fuss of her this time, which is most unusual. She normally goes straight over to her for a treat.

She is no fool though, she will know where she is going, it might just help take the edge off though.

That's the problem CM - although she didn't want the receptionist to make a fuss of her, she was actually quite happy to sit in the waiting room and say hello to all the other dogs (and cats :shock::lol: ). As soon as she was called into the vet nurses room though, that was it - no way was she going to co-operate without a struggle!

DM - I will try PM'ing LBB and see if she can give me any tips or link me to any videos. It's got to be worth a try.

Hope you don't mind me asking on your thread about dew claws. Lara has 4 dew claws and is going to have her back two removed when spayed. Were Tango's on the front or back? I got a feeling when the vet was talking about them that some dogs only have the front ones. Am I right to think that?

Hope you don't mind me asking on your thread about dew claws. Lara has 4 dew claws and is going to have her back two removed when spayed. Were Tango's on the front or back? I got a feeling when the vet was talking about them that some dogs only have the front ones. Am I right to think that?

Most dogs only have front ones. If they have them on the back they tend to be attached loosely by skin only and they catch very easily and can cause problems. Some do have some heavy duty hind dew claws attached by bone and some have double ones on each hind leg. They tend only to be removed if they cause a problem (as with Tango's).

LolaLayla - Tango's were front dew claws, she never had any rear dew claws. My vet told me that it used to be common years ago to remove both front and rear dew claws from pups, but now it's much more common to leave them as for the majority of dogs they don't actually cause any problems. Guess we were just one of the unlucky ones! :roll::lol:

My vet told me that it used to be common years ago to remove both front and rear dew claws from pups, but now it's much more common to leave them as for the majority of dogs they don't actually cause any problems.

When we had our first puppy about 8 years ago we asked our vet about the dew claws as someone had told us to have them removed and we were told the same, that they were not removed now unless they cause problems.

LB hope Tango makes a speedy recovery.

Chrissie

I took Tango for a check up yesterday as one of her wounds was looking a bit red and I wanted to make sure it wasn't infected (it's not, just a bit sore around the stitches).

Tango had her little booties on, and as we were waiting for the vet nurse to see us, a country type chap resplendent in full tweed with a lab and a cocker spaniel came into the waiting room, looked at Tango and said, 'What's she got those socks on for, are you worried she'll get cold feet?'

I did explain why she was wearing boots, but clearly I look like a fluffy, overprotective dog owner :roll: Perhaps next time I will accessorise with diamante collar and lead for full effect :lol:

I was kept entertained while we were waiting by a large golden retriever who kept sniffing the fake plant display in the waiting room (who puts fake plants in a vet surgery?). Just as I was contemplating whether any dogs had ever been tempted to pee up against it..... well you can guess what happened :shock::lol: Poor owner was extremely embarassed. I am afraid I giggled.

Lavender Blue your post made me laugh :lol::lol:

Quote:- 'a country type chap resplendent in full tweed with a lab and a cocker spaniel came into the waiting room, looked at Tango and said, 'What's she got those socks on for, are you worried she'll get cold feet?'

I would not have kept a straight face.