jennydavies

Cockerel - to keep or not to keep ?

We just recently added four new girls to our flock to bring the number up to eight. I was a bit suspicious of Willow - she looked a bit too leggy and tall, her bum feathers weren't as fluffy as the other girls but we said see how things go. As Willow has grown it has become more apparent that Willow is a William. He is a rather lovely French Maran and so far (he is still young, possibly 20-22 weeks) he is very nice temperament. We've never kept a coq, always giving them to chicken keeping friends in our lane (in rural France they are numerous) We feel that this time it might be nice to keep William and see how he goes. All you experienced folks out there who have taken the plunge, are we doing the right thing ? Our little flock are extremely friendly and newcomers are always welcomed with no integration problems whatsoever. We buy from the chicken lady in the local saturday morning market and all her chickens have always been healthy and happy girls when they come to us. Noise from William would not be a problem, we live on the outskirts of a tiny village and most of our neighbours in our lane have hens and coqs, the sounds of the countryside are all we hear. I think, looking at him he will turn out to be quite handsome, he has little gold flecks in his cuckoo maran markings, he looks super fit and healthy and is already quite tall. We just need the final convincing that having a coq is ok. :?

Though he is obviously not pure as such, it makes very little difference if you just fancy having a coq round the place.

Its always interesting seeing the interaction between the males and females, and you will probably have chicks next year as well which is fun. The males generally spend a lot of time keeping watch, and will give a range of alarm calls depending on the perceived threat, so they can help the girls take evasive action, and they will call them over if there is anything extra tasty to eat.

Make sure there are sufficient hens for him as otherwise they can become a bit threadbare on their backs, but usually if they have complete free range they get out of the way if they are not interested. As long as he is a pleasant temperament and nice to his girls I would say keep him. :)

they do bring that somthing extra to a flock. my main lad is coming up to his 3rd christmas plus I've got one of his sons from this year that I'm planing on keeping till at least next spring he's about 23 weeks old and just started to learn what girls are for. which is fun to watch as he tries to impress them only for them to give him the cold shoulder and strut away

I live in the middle of a 1930's housing estate and up untill last weekend had anonther 2 cockerels both full on crowers

I rehomed three ex-batts last October 2011 while collecting them someone had handed in some unwanted cockerals. I could not resist and bought Harvey home. He was very good with the girls, us, the cats and even the swan that visits us. I spoke to all the neighbours after I bought him home and they were fine about him. However during the summer he started crowing at 3am mainly because he could hear other cocks in the distance. I foster a bee hive and the farmer who looks after them said he would take him. I visit his farm and Harvey has a huge free range area with lots of ladies to entertain and although I hated to see him go he has a happy well cared for life. I had the privlage of having him for 11 months. BTW my farmer bee freind keeps his girls untill they expire of old age, he never sends them to slaughter. :D My neighbours were sorry to see him go, or so they said. :lol: but I am sure they appreicaite the piece and quiet. :lol: As he is still not to far from me and I hear about his antics I have kept him in my signature. :D I am so glad I had 11 months with him. Go for it you will not regret it. :D