LolaCola

How many Bantams in a classic Eglu?

Hi LolaCola, i think it depends on the type of bantam you have- ive got Dottes and there would probably be room for 1 or 2 more (ive got 3) in the eglu itself if i had a bigger WIR. think it more depends on the outside space they have. if you have smaller banties then i guess you could fit up to 5 in there depending on WIR etc.

Yes, it's really about the outside space rather than the coop. I have 10 chooks in total (5 bantams and 5 full-size girls) who live in a large WIR containing two classic Eglu's. So, you might imagine that the 5 bantams would use one coop and the five big girls the other. Sadly not! At night all 10 chickens all pile into just one Eglu :?. They have always done this, they seem to think the other coop is just for egg laying :wall:.

Andrew

I regularly have 5, 6 or 7 polands in a classic with an extended run and the use of a large netting pen and could do 8 if necessary. I'd happily have 4 orp bants in the same set up, possibly 5 at a push. Without the pen I'd stop at 5 polands or probably 3 orps. I know I could fit more in, but experience has taught me that giving birds more, rather than less, space is never wasted in terms of them being happy and healthy.

On 6/20/2021 at 9:17 PM, Eliza2 said:

Hi

Are the omlet cages OK for bantams as the plastic grids seem quite wide for them to walk in and the ramp upto the top level has rungs far apart...

Thanks eliza

@Eliza2 many if us have bantams in Omlet coops with no problems at all. Don’t worry! They’ll cope fine!

• Thanks 1