Surfnirvana

Holding foot up, lethargic, off colour hen

Hi there,

One of my white sussex Polly, is occasionally holding her right foot up and then looking and pecking at it. I picked her up and examined both her feet yeesterday and today. No swelling, the right foot was slightly warmer (poss sign of infection), but nothing broken and all working normally. When she does put it down she doesn't limp at all. :shock:

I've also noticed she's not eating as much and she is a lot slower - doesn't really run for worms any more. She is coming up for 2 years old and hasn't laid an egg for months. She dozes with her neck in whilst the others are out in their run pecking at the grass. I'm currently worming them this week with flubenvet, but I don't think that would be why she is slightly off colour would it?

She has just got over a cold, but doesn't have a runny nose anymore and her chest sounds clear.

Any ideas?

Hi Surfnirvana,

It might be an idea to let a vet have a look at her, as she seems to have a few issues. I would put her on a good tonic like Lifeguard in the meantime. I haven't personally, had the experience of a wormer making a chook feel off. She may still be run down, if she's recovering from a cold. Is she moulting, or just finishing moulting?

If she's pecking at her foot, it sounds like it's irritating her, so perhaps there is something stuck in it somewhere, possibly too small to see easily. How is she today?