chunkdoobiest

Sick Chicken

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice on a poorly chuck.

About 2 weeks ago we noticed our little Pekin, Olive, had sat huddled for 2 days. When we checked her she had had blisters/warts on her ears, and she had a bit of a smell to her. So we duly took her to the vets having never seen anything like it before.

The diagnosis was that she either has an ear infection or Mycoplasma, although leaning more towards an ear infection.

Over that last 2 weeks she has had 5 injections of Tylin Antibiotics, which after the 3rd started to show some improvement. On my last visit, Monday, she was looking a lot better, but still is sitting huddled a lot of the time (Like she is trying to stay warm).

The vet suggested that we could use Canesten Duo to treat the ear infection as it is a fungal infection. So I've been applying the cream to her ears twice daily and crushed the tablet into her food, as advised.

But she is remaining huddled. I'v now isolated her, but when she was with the others she was getting up in a morning, eating and drinking and then following the others for short periods, before stopping and huddling to stay warm.

In the last few days she's taken to staying indoors and sitting with a broody I have.

She is eating, drinking and poo'ing. Her comb is a good colour and she is bright eyed. The only thing worrying me is the amount of time she is spending all fluffed up into a ball, its like she can't stay warm. Any idea's/advice?

Thanks

Matt

Sorry to hear about your little pekin.......they are a worry.

Only some guesses and suggestions..... Maybe try some live bio natural yogurt on top of a warm pellet porridge. I give this to my pekins occasionally and they love it!!! The yougurt is good for encouraging friendly gut flora after antibiotics.

I've had my Molly (g.partridge pekin) of colour a week or so ago with a heavy moult. I took her to the vet and she had a steroid injection to stimulate her appetite and another of antibiotics in case of infection. Also, I was giving her the nettex nutridrops and keeping her in at night, which the vet said to continue for a couple more nights. She seems on the mend and is back with the other girls, hopefully seeming like her old self and growing back her feathers. So maybe some extra TLC?

Best wishes for little Olive. :D

Hi there,

It seems you've been doing all you could. I would follow mimi's advice now, and try and boost her up a bit after all the bodily stresses she has endured, including those caused by the antibiotics. She may be run down with it all. I don't think the weather has helped lately. It's so damp and depressing.

Hope she recovers soon. Please let us know how she goes on.

Thanks for all the advice :D

The cream has worked on little Olive's ears, the swelling has gone right down and the scabs are coming off to show fresh skin. We treated twice a day for about 10 days.

We also gave her the tablet, in some cat food, which she wolfed down in no time, after about 36-48 hours she had noticeably improved. Nearly seven days on and she is still sitting huddled up every so often and not keeping up with the others, but she is now at least making out the coop in a morning.

I followed Sandy's advice and she is behaving a lot more like a chicken when n the house, so I'm hoping its just the cold weather and nothing else underlying.

Matt