StephenW

“Could I become a beekeeper?” Event

INIB Presents Bee-Day:-

Beginning with Honeybees

Saturday 2nd February 2013.

Lough Neagh Discovery Centre

Have a look at our Event Agenda?

Have you ever really thought about where honey comes from?

Have you ever wondered, “Could I become a beekeeper?”

If any of these questions have ever crossed your mind, a forthcoming event being hosted by the Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers could provide the answers.

A charitable organisation with a deep commitment to educating and informing the public about beekeeping, the Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers is running a beekeeping familiarisation day in the Lough Neagh Discovery Centre on Saturday 2nd February. Running between 09:30 and 15:00, the whole programme is aimed specifically at the growing number of people who are interested in beekeeping and the role this fascinating little insect has to play in our wider environment. Honeybees and other pollinating insects are under threat: the INIB Bee-Day presents an opportunity to learn how you can help preserve these important insects. The venue, The Lough Neagh Discovery Centre which is set right in the heart of the Oxford Island National Nature Reserve where, to compliment biodiversity and conservation work, some staff have become beekeepers and are developing an apiary. Everyone will have an opportunity to learn more about this work and about beekeeping. An interesting day is in store for all who attend.

A team of people, recently introduced to the craft, will provide first hand accounts of the pleasures of beekeeping. Experienced and knowledgeable beekeepers will talk about the life of the honeybee, the fascinating division of labour in the hive, swarming and wintering a colony of bees. Other topics will encompass threats to honeybees and their environment and also the queen honeybee, mother of all in the hive and whose qualities largely determine the success of the colony and ultimately, of all beekeeping activities. The speakers will provide information about the basic equipment needed to keep bees and the associated costs. Advice will even be provided on how aspiring beekeepers can obtain healthy, placid and industrious bees. One of the best ways to start beekeeping is with a nucleus colony, commonly called a “Nuc”, and with the support of your local beekeeping association. The INIB will be providing everyone who attends with contact details for local beekeeping associations so that anyone who is interested can take the next steps to becoming a beekeeper.

Everyone who comes along will have the opportunity to talk with and question experienced beekeepers, so go along and find out if you could become a beekeeper in 2013. Tea and coffee will be provided on the day.

I am booked on a beginners course that starts on Feb 21st I find bees fascinating but had never considered keeping bees myself however my cousin has advanced lymphatic cancer and has asked me if I would take on her bees :cry: I am humbled she asked me :oops: I am pretty Sure they are a bigger commitment than chickens but intend to do my best.

Well done you :D It will be a huge weight off your cousin's mind at such a sad time I am sure.

Although the beekeeping part of this forum is very quiet now, I'm sure those of us who were new to it a few years ago would be delighted to try to help with any questions you may have. There is another beekeeping forum which is excellent in terms of the quality of advice but really quite scary in terms of its abruptness from time to time. You are doing the right thing by going on a course. I think a good piece of advice is to make friends with your local beeks - they will be the best source of support for you; if you get a mentor he/she will come out to you and help you on a very practical level.

I hope you enjoy it all :D

Yes, welcome to the world of beekeeping, frustrating incomprehensible at times but very rewarding.

Ask away, no question too daft, believe me.

There is another beekeeping forum which is excellent in terms of the quality of advice but really quite scary in terms of its abruptness from time to time.

Fairly quiet there, much of it being taken up by the anti pesticide lobby leaving the huge influx of new beeks with an easier initiation.

Thank you

I just hope I can do them and my cousin justice my biggest headache is where to keep them as my cousin lives about 10 miles away the bees are currently sited on a farm. I need them closer to me ideally I don't know if I would be allowed to have them on my allotment and I live in a terrace and my garden isn't very big :roll: I really need to get my thinking cap on and sods law I will miss the last week of the course which is about where to site your hive etc as we will be on holiday in Egypt :roll: