chocolateeclaire

Jaundice hen??

Sadly it didnt end well as I took her to the vet to be put down this morning - she was too weak to come out of the cube.

My vet said she was very underweight (which always makes me feel so guilty!!) but she is doing a post mortum for free just to see what the damage to the liver was and make sure that it is nothing that can affect the others.

Claire

Oh sorry to hear that, at least you will know what was wrong.

My vet also commented that one of my girls was underweight but in fact she was fine (breeder checked for me), that was two years ago, still happy and still the same weight. (I am a bit paranoid and weigh them occasionally). Anyway what I was trying to say was don't feel guilty, others will say that they hide their illness very well too.

What an awful shock for you... Don't blame yourself. You clearly did what you could, with little idea of what could have been wrong. As mollyripkim said, they hide illness well, and at least you'll get to know what the problem was... Sounds like a good, professional vet you've got there.

My vet was great and rang me this morning to let me know that there were no untoward parasites that I need to worry about and it was actually her heart that was in failure causing a build up of fluid that in turn put pressure on other organs like the liver. She also told me that she had been eating recently as had undigested food in her stomach.

Including the euthanasia she only charged me £15.00!!

So I dont feel so bad and am glad that her suffering was short.

Claire