Minnie&Moose

how cold is too cold for an outdoor single bunny?

Pippi, our visiting rabbit (with us for a year) lives outside. She's just got a new hutch (old one wasn't weatherproof and I was worried for her), she has woodshavings, straw and lots of hay in her sleeping compartment. She's in good health, about 3.5yrs, but lives on her own. She has grown a thick winter coat (she looks quite chunky but according to the vet there's a nicely toned rabbit inside all that fluff :lol: ). As a bunny novice I'm a bit concerned about the very cold temperatures forecast for tomorrow and the weekend etc. How worried should I be? Thanks.

We have two outdoor bunnies but i bring them into the garage at night so its not too draughty for them and cover the hutch over with a sheet. The first year we had them they stayed out all winter and were fine but they did have each other - they do really snuggle as well when its very cold. Do you have a garage or shed or something just to protect her a bit?

Yes I have left ours in the garage today in anticipation of snow. I will turf them out for a run around tomorrow though as they quite like tunnelling through it before tucking them back up in the garage! Ours have seemed incredibly perky despite the freezing weather and don't seem bothered - normally they sulk :roll:

Both our bunnies lived single lives in their cage outside - sadly one died last summer, but in 2010 which to me was a severe winter, we put old blankets on the roof with plastic on top, and old sleeping bags wedged up against the front of their cage each night. This did seem to keep them warm enough.

I wish rabbits could be shut in the eglu like chickens. My 2 sit at the run door while the eglu is packed with bedding just using it as a toilet. If I leave the door open to the walk in run they choose to sit on top of a dog kennel they have in there. They really worry me and I'm thinking of buying a traditional hutch I can pack with straw and lock/cover them up in. I know every will say that they are choosing to do this but what if they actually know no better.