penny70 Posted January 27, 2013 Share Posted January 27, 2013 I think one of my hens has got a touch of scaley leg - not terrible, but always best to catch these things early. What's the best thing to use, and where would I get it? Many thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egghead68 Posted January 27, 2013 Share Posted January 27, 2013 Ivermectin spot-on (not licensed for poultry in the uk). Spot in on the skin of the back of the neck where they can't preen. The chicken vet website sells it. http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/shop/view/index.aspx/product/ivermectin-1-spot-on-38 It may be cheaper elsewhere. Good luck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
penny70 Posted January 28, 2013 Author Share Posted January 28, 2013 Looking at the ivermectin on the chicken vet website it says that eggs may never be sold for human consumption. Please could you confirm with me that it will be safe to eat the eggs again after the 28 day withdrawal period suggested by this forum? Also I presume that, as with cats, dogs etc, all birds in the same flock (in this case a mighty 2!) should be treated at the same time, even if showing no symptoms? Many thanks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egghead68 Posted January 28, 2013 Share Posted January 28, 2013 I am no expert so can't confirm anything really I'm afraid! (except that ivermectin is not licensed for poultry in the uk) I eat the eggs myself with no withdrawal period but for most medications people seem to recommend a 7 day withdrawal. Don't know about ivermectin specifically. I don't know about selling eggs. I would probably treat all the birds in the flock but I don't think you necessarily have to. If you don't want to use a spot-on you can try smothering the legs in johnson's anti scaley leg mite spray and/or sudocreme (see other posts on the forum). Good luck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
penny70 Posted January 28, 2013 Author Share Posted January 28, 2013 Thanks so much for the info. I have ordered the ivermectin, and will treat both I think, just in case. I've only got one laying at the moment out of two, I'm not likely to sell any eggs ever! But interesting that you don't do any sort of egg withdrawal - I think I may though, as we've got the kids eating the eggs too, and don't want any ivermectin going into them... Much appreciated. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
penny70 Posted January 28, 2013 Author Share Posted January 28, 2013 Thanks so much for the info. I have ordered the ivermectin, and will treat both I think, just in case. I've only got one laying at the moment out of two, I'm not likely to sell any eggs ever! But interesting that you don't do any sort of egg withdrawal - I think I may though, as we've got the kids eating the eggs too, and don't want any ivermectin going into them... Much appreciated. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Monty14 Posted February 7, 2013 Share Posted February 7, 2013 I dunked my gal's leg in a jug of baby oil initially which apparently the bugs hate as its so slippery. Got some 'Just for Scaley Leg' spray from countryside suppliers and it worked wonders in a week, spray over leg and repeat once a day if needed for 7 days - our Mabel only needed 2 sprays and all clear BTW when they moult all the cruddy scales are shed so they have nice legs in the Spring! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 8, 2013 Share Posted February 8, 2013 Ivermectin-based products aren't licensed for use on poultry in the UK, so strictly speaking should only be used on the say-so of your vet, who will outline the correct withdrawal period. Having said that, it is used on humans in some countries..... as my vet says, it is down to personal choice, although the eggs shouldn't be sold or given to children/elderly/pregnant women during the withdrawal period. Traditionally the withdrawal period prescribed is 7 days, although it is best to leave 28 days if in doubt. Your vet would be best placed to advise. Spot on drops are a preventative only and a permethrin-based spray should also be used, with two treatments a week apart. This spray is also not licensed for use on poultry in the UK. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
penny70 Posted February 8, 2013 Author Share Posted February 8, 2013 Thanks dogmother (love the lurcher quote btw - very true). Using the ivermectin spot-on on the chook with symptoms, bought from the chicken vet, and have one more application to go, then seven days more egg withdrawal. Also using Nettex Just for Scaley Leg on both hens as a topical treatment. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 9, 2013 Share Posted February 9, 2013 I'd use the spot on on every chicken in the flock and repeat it quarterly. IF I see any lice or mites then I follow the spray routine, but one of mine is inclined to scaly leg mites so I spray her legs quarterly as a precaution anyway and that seems to work. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...