Chortle Chook

Reading Bantam show

My Omlet badge arrived just in time and I had a lovely day, meeting fellow Omleteers. It was great to see the various breeders I've obtained chickens and ducks from in the past, all with pretty coloured cards on their pens :D and I just loved looking at all those chooks I'd so love to have but can't. :shameonu:

Latest must haves are a Russian Orlof: severe looking in the books but so nice in the feather. I also loved the Sulmtalers and have decided that when my Slikie boy (now aged 7) shuffles off this planet, I'll be getting a boy and a girl one of those. I'm smitten :!: On the duck front I'm hoping Redwing's new pair will have babies as I'd love a short billed white Call Duck - they are sooooo sweet.

The bit I really won't forget was when a wee white call duck flew off the photographer's table right across the hall and over all the chickens. Boy what a racket - all chickens cried 'hawk overhead' with one very loud voice :lol:

Oooo you'll love Orloffs. Mine are quite prolific layers and if there's an opportunity for mischief in the flower border or tub trugs or greenhouse or getting in the kitchen their up for it, 1st in line. They have a way of looking at you sideways with their beedy yellow eyes, kind of weighing you up.

Also found a new home (quite out of the blue) for miss bossy britches Mavis. She has now gone to live with Chook n Boo near Chichester. I have to say poor little Kazoo couldn't quite believe her luck this morning. Peace at last. :dance:

I was very good and didn't buy anything. My want is Japanese. :roll:

It is my friend who got best Sulmtaler at the show :D She breeds the standard black wheaten and also the non standard blue wheaten - that was the colouring of the boy that was there and he is beautiful. The blue girls are the same as the black only with a soft blue on the tail where the black is. They also throw splash which was the colouring of the pale non standard girl at the show.

I have a couple and they free range happily with my silkie and my polands.

Well I would best describe them as busy and curious. Mine live with 2 (grew up together) Crevecoeurs (which look like a large Poland if you've never seen one, rather away with the fairies by nature) and don't bother them. I would say busy beaks do no harm if you catch my drift. This lot are all LF and none have made it to the dizzy heights of top bird, reading about them they can be funny with interlopers if not properly introduced I imagine there's some game in the make up if you've seen a Malay. Can't say about the banties.

Yo! Every time I met Parsley she was looking for her friends. Now I'm a bit worried about that - I reckon they were hiding! :wink:

It was nice to meet Daxi too *waves*. And of course the usual bods. I did go home with a chook but she was only having B&B and evening meal. Had to leave earlier than I normally would - it was my 28th anniversary. Gutted I missed a Lewis hug!

I was soooo close to taking home 2 croad hens. Common sense prevailed though. DD was very disappointed. She's also missing Geraldine the light Sussex - probably because it's the first hen that's been allowed to stay indoors. Have to add that OH was rather taken by her - he thought she had lovely eyes. So then we have been looking at pekins because OH doesn't want more black. Er we only have one, but several shades of grey - ahem, still not read that book, and one strumpet buff Sussex. DD says goth chickens are cool. So now we've been looking at pekins because of their multi-colours. We may have a ride out on Friday. I don't think we can come back with any though! But all our girls are getting old - 4 and 5 years, so we need some young blood to be regular layers. But then I like the croads and the favs and the brahs and and and . . . did someone mention orloff?

I might have done, but I was obsessed with the croads. :oops: At that point pekins wasn't an option but as I've pointed out that our girls laying abilities will be on the wane soon he agreed it made sense. So when he says OK (if he says OK) then full steam ahead. Also 6 girls in the garden is adequate for the grass consumption. 8 birds and it was really struggling. He does like the gold laced orpies (yeah whiiiiiiinge) and I said to myself no more orpies - but I do love their boofy bods.

I missed my squeezy Kooj hug too :(

My love Pekins, they seem to have the biggest characters. Will be taking a couple of mine to Edible Garden Show again this year for the kids to cuddle + poke.

What about Cream Legbars for BLUE eggs !eggblue!;)

I was just thinking ahhhh never mind - make it a double at Tashas then! And then you go and do !eggblue!:notalk: Arghhhh! Yes - that too. I would so love those deep Bourneville choccy ones that I saw. And a blue would just be soooo lovely. Thanks Lewis you little horror. :P

ILY really! :lol: