Omadawn

ducks and dogs ??

I got my first two Indian Runner ducks yesterday, I love them already, I also have a 6yr old Westie who is excited by the whole situation lol, I want to make the settling in process easy for my beautiful ducks and was wondering if anyone else has a dog and ducks, how they introduced them ? how they manage to stop dog from frightening ducks ? etc ...

I currently have them penned in in a run, but would like to eventualy like them to have free run around whole garden.

kind regards

Omadawn x

Congratulations on your new ducks :D Would love to see some pics :wink:

We have 2 ducks amongst our menagerie and we have 2 Terriers. The chooks and ducks are in their own WIRs as I'm not sure I'd trust the dogs with them :roll: If I had more garden, I'd let them all FR but I'd still keep them in their own fenced off area and keep the dogs out :talk2hand:

I guess if you want to give it a go, let the ducks settle in and then keep your Westie on a long lead and see what happens? Good luck :)

Congratulations from me too, ducks are such lovely little characters, they are so entertaining. My chickens, ducks, three dogs and cat all FR together with no problems. We introduced the dogs whilst the chickens were in their run, dogs on leads, and a sharp no if they showed too much interest, then progressed to chickens FRing with dogs on leads to finally one dog at a time off lead. We got the ducks last year and the dogs showed a bit of interest but nothing more than that. To be honest they are more interested in scavenging chicken poo - delightful :)

Look forward to seeing some photos.

I have 2 working cockerspaniels that run with all my chickens and ducks i leave them outside sometimes to keep watch if they come in and they hear the alarm call from my birds they go running to see whats going on and to check them they make me laugh they know what birds live hear if your a crow or magpie your not allowed in the garden the only thing i have to be concerned about is when i have broodys with their chicks my younger dog will get a bit to excited.I think it depends on what your dog is like you are going to get some dogs that are never going to run with birds you know your dogs behaviour i would let the ducks settle in for a while and let them get to know your dog through wire first leanne :)

Thanks for the great advice , the ducks seems to have realised that the dog cant get into run already so dont just run straight in now ... I think the long lead is what im goig to try next.

Ive taken a few pics of Shrek and Fiona ... I think shrek is too pretty for his name im considering changing it lol

20130309_165904