keyhole kate

what to choose opinions please

Having lost all but one of my original big girls to old age and having broodies for Britain I thought I might hatch again but not bantams as last year as it took me almost a year to find Mr Madras my sorely missed Lav boy a new forever home, Somewhere fairly local will rehome boys but only LF now I have the opportunity and choice of welsummers C legbars or orps in buff,blue,black I know orps are big birds hence my indecision as whatever I hatch will be in with my littlies in a 8x8 WIR although I am considering expanding to 16 x 16 but they FR every day unless wet I don't have any knowledge of either breed anyone share there opinions?

Difficult :( Personally I'm not overkeen on mixing LF with bantams, I always think one group is slightly unhappy - but you will get lots of people telling you they keep both sizes and they mix easily - so its a personal decision. With CL, these are autosexing, so you could cull/give away the boys as chicks for reptile/raptor food for example. Orps take an age to mature and can be hard to sex so you will be feeding for a while - I don't think 8x8 is big enough although they are docile and don't need too much exercise, but really they will take up a lot of space. I think Welsummers tend to be active and can be a bit feisty so I'm not sure they are the best breed in your set up either.

I'd also choose Cream Legbars - they're autosexing as Daphne has already said so you won't get attached to and name the boys and of course you get blue eggs!

They're a large fowl but not too big so should get on with your current girls.

I have 2 CLB adults who live in with bantams and 18 chicks in the garage, 8 of which are CLB and some of the others are CLB crosses to give olive eggs :)

I have had all three, welsummer, orp and cream legbar. My orp is lovely but a bit thick and not very friendly, she also has a mean streak when she goes broody and can be bossy the rest of the time. My cream legbar is very friendly, always first in line for treats and my welsummer [rip] was lovely, very docile and laid back. She was broody quite a lot but laid a lovely dark brown egg.

I have bantams and lf in the same run but they are big bantams, ie wyandottes, silkie crosses and a couple of polish crosses. My little bantams live in a seperate house and run although they have been known to wander into the big run without any any trouble.