JellyBean2605

Bed wetting cat

My cat wets her bed, she's done it sporadically since we got her in 2011 (she's a rescue), she then continues to sleep in the bed :shock:

Has anyone any suggestions about how I can get her to stop, or failing that how I can clean the bed properly (I currently use Vanish antibacterial on a baby wash cycle). I've had cats for my whole life and never known this before.

Yikes - I've never come across this. I have had cats who wet soft furnishings/duvets ( :twisted: ) as a protest or when stressed, but not usually their own bedding and not constantly.

Sorry, no suggestions really - have you asked a vet about it? Have you tried Feliway/Pet Rescue to try and calm her?

Cats are usually meticulous with their toilet habits so this is very odd. Could she have cystitus? Poppy gets it when stressed when we are away and holds on to her wees till she absolutely has to go. Maybe this is what yours is doing. Cystophan and Fellaway were recommended by our vet and so we always have these on hand. You should maybe get her checked over by the vet.

I've never had a cat wet their own bed - the dogs, yes, and other people's handbags :oops: , when they've had cystitis. I would think the vet is a good start.

When clearing up cat wee I always use the special spray from the vet that is supposed to destroy the residual odour but I'm not sure how you would go about washing a whole bed in it.

She seems fine in herself, she's very nervous - runs a mile when the phone/doorbell rings etc but is always very happy around me and my OH. I have mentioned it to the vet who says she's not got an infection and as it's only occasionally says it's behavioural. I can only wonder if it's some kind of territory thing as she doesn't get on all that we'll with our other cat but it's not working because if she's wet a bed he will happily sleep in it! Maybe she's just weird! We never did know how she ended up at the cats home. Thankfully she doesn't wet our bed or the sofas.

We've bought washable beds so will just have to keep on top of it, any suggestions on a product to use?