Hens@HalfMoonLane

Getting my dog to go to the toilet

Some dogs only go a couple of times a day so if hes going first thing and also on his walks thats plenty. i just say the toilet command when they are actually doing it to train them to it, it should be in a calm command voice. my staffy has really clicked on to this but our rescue romanian dog hasnt yet but she can sometimes only go on her walks. You could try crating him on a night then that worry would be out of the way. I wouldn't worry about it unless he's having accidents in the house.

When we got our dog, admittedly she was a pup, but the breeder had trained them all to associate "do wees!" with going to the loo. This really helped. I do still ask her to do wees, but I do find she is sometimes more interested in all the smells and not in actual doing any business :roll: When she started to do more accidents in the house, I restarted the training and just took her out on her lead and made sure she went. It does take time and patience but it will be worth it. Maybe just see how your dog goes. He might not need to actually go as much as you think he should. I do remember the longest time we left our dog in between doing wees was about 6 hours. And it was in a house she didn't know. No accidents at all, much to my relief. I was desperately trying to get her to go before we went (was to a funeral) and would she? Would she heck!

I think they don't need to go as often as we think they do. Tango usually has her last wee around 10.00/10.30pm. She then goes out for her morning walk around 7am. Every day without fail I turf her out into the garden while I put my coat and boots on, convinced she must be bursting for a wee. Every day without fail she won't go until we go out on our walk and often not for some few minutes.

We usually get back around 8am and she quite often won't go for another wee until her afternoon walk around 2/3pm. She gets the opportunity to go in the garden but usually chooses not to oblige!

She does have a wee command for when I want her to go before I go out and leave her for a few hours - it's a sort of psssswssssswssssspssss sound (best way I could think to write it!) and she does know what that means and does oblige - partly I think because she knows it means I'll be leaving her with a tasty treat! :lol: