Sorry I don't know the answer but when DD and DS were young we had two gerbils and they were great, I wasn't keen on holding them but they were fun to watch.

It is a lot of money but it appears to be easy to keep clean and maintain.

There are a couple on ebay at the moment but I don't think they are near you.

Chrissie

I used to keep gerbils, I had loads of them and they are brilliant little animals, so I was very interested when I saw the Qute. The only thing I will say is the clear base of the Qute appears to be plastic? If it is, gerbils will scratch and mark it quite easily, as they dig for England and will persistently try to get through what they cannot see! I know this as I kept mine in old fish tanks, and two of those had replacement non watertight clear plastic side panels. Several years of gerbil scratching and the plastic was worn very thin.

I am happy to be corrected and hope such an expensive item has been tested for such a thing. I also had some Rotastak at some point, which was chewed and destroyed by my little darlings in no time at all!

I tested it out with my Gerbils for Omlet just before it came out and loved it.

There were a few problems back then which I think have now been sorted out but to me the biggest negative was the price - mine live in a Gerbilarium.

Rhianna is about 5 now (I think) and has just had a stroke so only used the bottom bit for a few weeks but seems to be better now and can manage the stairs :lol:

Not sure how an older hamster or gerbil would cope with the Qute tube but there must be people with that experience.

Thank you all, I've gone and bought YS one, got the one with a drawer so he can store all the stuff! OH has got over the price surprisingly well, but I chose my moment well and got him after he'd had a cooked breakfast :!:. Poor sole hasn't fully grasped, it all no doubt he will be muttering when it needs to be built. Oh well it Christmas and as I pointed out Omlet things resell well.

I have assembled the Qute today! Our son's new gerbils Holly and Ivy have moved in and seem keen to explore, they have yet to tackle the tube though. We did get the gerbils slightly earlier than the Qute, so are very glad to them into a secure home. It has also forced YS to tidy his bedroom, so that is an added bonus :D