Mercedes55

Mary Berry's Bakewell Slices

Having recently bought a couple of Mary Berry books I was going to try her Bakewell Slice recipe today but I am undecided as to whether her recipe is correct :lol:

She suggests making up the pastry with no parchment or liner underneath, doesn't suggest resting the pastry, doesn't suggest blind baking it, just says to line the tin with the pastry, put jam on it, then top with a sponge mix and bake.

I haven't made pastry in years but I do watch The Great British Bake Off and can remember all the times they were making pastry and the problems of "soggy bottoms'. So do I just follow the recipe, change it or give up :lol:

I have got a lot Mary Berry recipes but not this one, however the Bake Off Bakewell tart is made with sweet pastry which is chilled in cling film for 20 minutes before rolling. The base is then pricked with a fork and spread with the jam before chilling again whilst the topping is made. After the sponge topping is put on the tart is then baked in the oven with the dish standing on a preheated metal tray to make sure the pastry is crisp.

Generally a Bakewell tart wouldn't be baked blind.

I have got a lot Mary Berry recipes but not this one, however the Bake Off Bakewell tart is made with sweet pastry which is chilled in cling film for 20 minutes before rolling. The base is then pricked with a fork and spread with the jam before chilling again whilst the topping is made. After the sponge topping is put on the tart is then baked in the oven with the dish standing on a preheated metal tray to make sure the pastry is crisp.

Generally a Bakewell tart wouldn't be baked blind.

I have her Baking Bible and this is her recipe in that

Bakewell Slices

Be generous with the raspberry jam, it makes all the difference. As the shortcrust pastry contains a lot of fat and no sugar, there is no need to line the tin with baking parchment

Pastry: 175g plain flour, 75g butter, 2/3tbsp cold water

Sponge Mixture: 100g softened butter, 100g caster sugar, 175g self raising flour 1 level tsp baking powder, 2 large eggs, 2 tbsp milk, ½tsp almond extract

To Finish: about 4tbsp raspberry jam, flaked almonds ro sprinkling

To make the pastry, measure the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water gradually, mixing to form a soft dough.

Roll our the dough on to a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 12"x9" traybake or roasting tin. Pre heat the oven to 180c/Fan 160c/Gas 4

Measure all the sponge ingredients into a bowl and beat until well blended. Spread the pastry with raspberry jam and then top with the sponge mixture. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.

Bake in the pre heated oven for about 25mins or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tin and springs back when pressed in the centre with your fingertips. Leave to cool in the tin and then cut into slices.

Confusing :lol:

Well that's quite different. It is only a plain shortcrust which is probably why there is no chilling, and there's no icing so not the same Bakewell at all.

I'd just give it a go - but you could chill at the pastry stage if you felt it was too soft. I'm sure it will be edible however you do it :D .

Thanks for your advice. I have just done my second lot of pastry and put it in the fridge to chill. The first lot I thought seemed a bit dry and it was only when I weighed it that I realised I had put too much flour in as I had taken the amount of flour from the recipe on the other page, stupid me!

I am hoping it can only get better :oops:

Okay well I don't think I will be baking that again. The pastry is cooked but is very pale, probably because I put baking parchment in the tray as I wasn't confident that it would just come out without it. The sponge top is really quite insipid and doesn't have enough almond flavour. I guess ½tsp just isn't enough.

This is the 2nd time I've not been that impressed with one of the recipes in the book I have. Last week I make the Lemon Drizzle traybake and although it was nice it didn't have enough lemon in it for me. I prefer the recipe by Tara Ramsey as it has a lot more zing to it :D

It is so frustrating when that happens! I find I pin my hopes on a new cookbook for it to just let me down. Some are rather style over substances as well. As for a delicious bakewell, though not a traditional one, I have made this several times and it is, well, simply delicious :Dhttp://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11695/raspberry-bakewell-cake

That looks delicious, must give that a try :D