Angelmum21

Is anyone trialling new hive monitors with Beehaus?

I have just read the second article on the Arnia remote bee hive monitoring system and was wondering if any Beehaus owners are trialling or using it in their hives? I see the cost is around £60 a hive and I think it would be a good thing for a new beekeeper like me and help to stop too much fretting. What do you think?

Bit new fangled for me but an absolute must for data geeks.

From Arnia,"get hive temperature, brood temperature, hive humidity, hive acoustics, hive weight, hive movement,apiary weather conditions and theft alert on your PC tablet in the comfort of your home"

I prefer the odd timely inspection, a chair by the hives, a glass of wine and a copy of Storch's "At the hive entrance"

If you get one let us know how you get on :)

Edited to say.....I've just noticed that you can monitor your hives while you are away on holiday aaaaargh!!!!! my husband thinks I'm mad enough wandering up to watch the bees every day.

Personally, I won't be bothering - it's all very well knowing those things but what are you going to do about it? You'll still be fretting, possibly unnecessarily because humidity is up or down or the temperature has changed - for all we know that happens all the time, but the bees usually sort things out.

I'm with you OSH - nothing beats watching outside the hive to see what's going on, and timely inspections when it's warm enough. And the glass of wine!

Thanks for that - no disasters with my bees so far but I still haven't got through an entire year and swarm control looms. If we have a terrible spring I may consider this just because I have found that invariably the best days for inspections are when I am at work!