beckyfitz

Trying again - any advice?

I had some quail a couple of years ago but I failed miserably with them . They seemed to do nothing but fight & I was forever separating one or another & treating wounds & scalpings! I ended up separating the remaining into pairs & trio's in various makeshift runs as I didn't have enough housing, which they took great delight in finding evermore ingenious ways of escaping! I would come into the garage each morning and have to catch some with a fishing net & put back those who had got into the wrong cage :-( Eventually I had one pair left that sadly vanished after a Fox attack. So here I am having just hatched 9 New bundles of fluff determined to do better :-) I love them already & really want it to work this time. Firstly, I have a much bigger house & outside run for them - I'm hoping this was the main problem? I will make sure they have plenty of branches & hidey holes too. I would really love to hear from those of you who have a happy experience of quail on how you manage your set-up, what I may have done wrong & any tips - especially about aggression ( the viciousness of them really amazed me last time). Many thanks,

Becky x

Hello....

As I have said many times before.... I am no expert but have learnt as I've gone along!! Happy to help though if I can.

It does sound as though you already know the basics..... Lots of hiding places, fresh food and water and shelter. We currently have 3 separate groups. One group consist of 1 cockerel and 4 hens. Another group is 1 cockerel with 2 hens and the final ratio is 1:3. The reason that we now have 3 groups is because I would always keep to 1 cockerel only with each bunch of hens.

The reality in my experience is that quail can be (and often are) very aggressive and unpredictable. A young cockerel who we hatched recently became incredibly over excited at the arrival of spring and in his excitement and inexperience he caused a large open wound on one hens head. We solved this by increasing the ratio of hens to share the load. It was also suggested by the breeder that separating an over excited young cockerel for a few days helps to dampen his spirits and hopefully rough treatment of the hens!!

Another time 5 hens plus 1 cockerel who had previously lived together quite happily all turned on one hen causing a nasty wound. She had to be removed and now lives happily with my other injured female. I think you simply need to be vigilant and accept that sometimes aggressive behaviour does and will occur. (Ps I also keep my purple spray handy!!)

Despite the ups and downs I love my quail and simply couldn't be without them. For all of the problems that spring may occasionally bring once they start laying they definitely reward you with plenty of delicious eggs!!

Good luck, enjoy your quail and cross your fingers for plenty of hens.