Bramble

Lost a chuck to sour crop today :o(

I'm gutted - not lost a chuck to sour crop before - always been quite successful in treating it up 'til now so I was devastated to find little Puddle had succumbed over night ... I'd been treating her for the last two days by draining her crop (must say I've never known chuck sick smell THAT bad before), with nutridrops, live natural yoghurt and daktarin oral gel. I fear I just didn't realise she had sour crop and start treating it soon enough ... feel awful ... she was only young having just come into lay, which makes it even worse :( sleep tight Puddle x

Sorry to hear that Bramble. You are right that they need to be spotted quickly. To do that we poo pick the coops every day. When treating sour crop I rarely drain (preferring to massage it through) and never give anything but water. But everyone seems to have their own preferred method.

Thanks both, I'm still gutted. Never lost one to sour crop before, I've always felt relatively confident that that's the one thing they can get over with the right care - that said I don't think I've come across a chuck with quite such bad sour crop as this ... I just keep thinking if only, if only ... feel like a very bad chicken mum today ...