sandyhas3chucks

confused about coccu

I read that coccidiosis is around most of the time due to wild birds and that only young hens get it as they develope immunity.

So u understand why an ex bat might get it.

But having had it and treated and recovered, why would it recur? This would apply to any type of hen, as I see from another posting.. The first time before she came to live with me treated with coxoid. A year later Retford tested positive again treated with baycox. That would a good. Four months ago and looks like she has it as again. None of the others ever show signs. Probably stronger immune system she also have bacterial infection due to coccidiosis. But back to original question.why hadn't she now developed immunuty?

I can only put it down to weaker immune systems Sandy. We've only had one incidence of it in a 4 week chick. She had it again at 5 ½ weeks and it never reoccurred (she lived to nearly 7 years). All our birds hatched were Wyandottes and Orpingtons and none developed it. Birds were kept inside to 6 weeks and were on unmediated crumb, which is no ACS. They then went outside. They all had probiotic yoghurt at day two, except the chick that developed it. She was given probiotic yoghurt to cure her. Perhaps Beryl's tonic would be better.

I would say a bird that repeatedly gets it should be culled, or certainly never bred from.