Christian

Chicken Memorials

1 hour ago, Patricia W said:

So sorry, Andy Roo.  They really pull at your heart strings.   Probably was the heat which tipped the balance.  She’s flying free now though xx

Yeah, we're honestly not sure what happened. I noted she had a pale comb about a week ago and she seemed a bit lethargic. I gave her some veggies and put vitamins in their water and she perked up a bit for a few days, but then she went back to being a little down. I checked her over and she didn't have any signs of illness lice. I did a mite check since the live scare the other month (which I have treated with Ivermectin), but there was no sign of them... she wasn't egg bound... it's a bit sad, but she was about 4 years old, so I guess that's about average for a hybrid? The heat probably hasn't helped - even though they've been in the shade. Maybe it was just her time to go.

Penny died today. She was one of my 4 original gang that I got in 2014. I was SO excited talking to them all the way home in their box and she laid an egg on the way. She was never keen on people and if I ever had to catch her she’d scream the place down, but she seemed very pleased to ever have her photo taken! She was top chicken for most of her life, and loved worms and egg. She made it to just over 9 years old - not a bad innings really - and up until Wednesday, even though she was very weak, she was still pecking those below her if they tried to share her food. She passed away today peacefully in a cat box in the sun.

237837A9-307D-4A9C-A7DF-45A66A892542.jpeg

AEF59C48-F91F-469B-BFC6-E065DEFB801A.jpeg

4AF841EE-C27A-4BAC-930C-C441F6DA0F04.jpeg

B9EE8ED5-67C5-4DDA-8F00-5A44F06B5E52.jpeg

6BF7B312-25F8-450E-AA23-E0129AC9EDD3.jpeg

• Sad 3

My first hen 

Was ester my light sussex hybrid she was fantastic she was docile laid an egg every day she followed me around the garden and would accept corn from my hand, she was always so excited when I went to see her. I loved her so much, she was killed and left by the fox after I forgot to lock the hens in but luckily left esters best freind leia who seemed very lonely. So shortly after she died I got a maran and a welsummer I will always remember her as my first and my favourite hen. RIP Ester 16/12/21

20211022_120125.jpg

20210721_205442.jpg

20210720_143115.jpg

20210720_143117.jpg

IMG-20210515-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20210503-WA0009.jpeg

My first hen 

Was ester my light sussex hybrid she was fantastic she was docile laid an egg every day she followed me around the garden and would accept corn from my hand, she was always so excited when I went to see her. I loved her so much, she was killed and left by the fox after I forgot to lock the hens in but luckily left esters best freind leia who seemed very lonely. So shortly after she died I got a maran and a welsummer I will always remember her as my first and my favourite hen. RIP Ester 16/12/21

• Sad 2

Timmy ~ 1st April 2015 to 7th January 2023 ~
No sign of anything being wrong last night, ran for her evening treats, waited impatiently as ever as I gave them fresh water and chatted to me as she had her evening stroke. She passed away entirely unaware of anything in her sleep ❤  Timmy was a Speckledy and one of my original hens.  Sleep well my beautiful girl, you reached a grand old age.  

824154280_Screenshot2023-01-0715_48_58.png

• Sad 1