Christian

Chicken Memorials

Sadly I note I am the previous poster too. Today I was told my plucky little Camilla chicken has passed away. She had slowed down a lot of late and I had suspected peritonitis but because she was still eating and drinking well I had thought it sterile and not intervened. We had once decided to make THAT visit to the vets but she improved so much we thought she deserved a chance. She passed away in her sleep. God bless little one. And I hope that chicken heaven sees fit to grant you the complete set of feathers we never quite managed to restore down here xxxxxx

RIP little Holly, one of my first Pekins....she was a Mille fleur, after her first moult, her feathers regrew with more white than her beautiful copper so she became known as my Snowbird....I thought she was going into moult again, but obviously I was wrong....fly high my beauty, FR with all your lost brothers & sisters :(

Big hugs Sadietoo, sad times :cry:

My beautiful little Tilly had to be put to sleep on Wednesday, after a spate of illness which she finally succumbed to, despite treatment by our wonderful vet and lots of TLC and love from me.

She was the boss right to the end and always made sure the new girls knew it!

I will miss her chattering and the way she always stood with her toes slightly crossed over - she looked so sweet.

She went very peacefully and is reunited with her old friends Poppy, Roxy and Lola.

Sweet dreams my little girl xxx

I sadly had to say goodbye to my darling Maisie today after Mareks was confirmed at the vets. She was only 6 months old but at least I had the pleasure of her dear sweet face and endearing chattering in my life for the last 4 short weeks.

I was so looking forward to watching her blossom and spend many happy years with us being spoilt rotten, but it wasn't meant to be.

Sleep tight little one xxx

My Lovely Annie a beautiful girl who was our youngest and we had her a year next month. She was PTS yesterday after going down hill very fast with a crop problem which our lovely vet could not sort . .She was the liveliest of our girls but bottom of the pecking order and very pretty.

48e08339-1f29-42e3-871e-8eca767ff86e.jpg

Just lost my last girl, Blossom. She looked a bit sad at the weekend when I was gardening, but thought she was lonely. Seems it was a bit more than that as I found her gone this morning. She was almost 3 years old and seemed really a sturdy girl. She was an eggcellent layer, a chatty girl and will be missed.

Will now be chickenless for the first time in 5 years. Quite an odd feeling. Will use this time to get the run and garden up to scratch before hopefully getting some new girls in the spring.

Sadly we had to have Popov, our Amber Star, PTS on Saturday.

She had recovered well from a really heavy moult though this did cause her to drop down the pecking order. However, shortly afterwards she suffered a neck injury that also affected her ability to use her left eye.

We tried to nurse her back to health but we were fighting a losing battle.

She was a happy-go-lucky chicken that loved sunbathing and her gentle, talkative nature will be greatly missed.

We lost our lovely Copper suddenly at the weekend. Unfortunately we were away and my niece was house sitting so it was horrible for her as well as us. I don't know the cause as she was perfectly well, but noticed some bees near the run yesterday, so maybe she got stung :cry:

She was our youngest & most beautiful hen. She was hyperactive and lived life at a fast pace so I like to think she had crammed a lot in. She survived the fox attack that claimed Paige & Red, just losing a few feathers, and raised the alarm to save the other girls. I would have been surprised if the fox had managed to catch her - the supplier I got her from had to use a very big net to catch her!!!

RIP beautiful girl, gone too soon xxx

We lost our second eldest Maddy this morning, found her in her house looked like she had been heading out and just keeled over :( she was over 5 years old hadn't laid for a couple of years but was full of beans. She was another fast lane chicken, straight through the back door for the cat food if she had the chance, so fast. Very friendly and inquisitive a real favourite of mine. She was very assertive in all of her activities so the others were wary of crossing her.

RIP Maddy x

We said goodbye to our last ex-batt Flo yesterday. She survived the longest of all our girls, despite having a spinal deformity that meant she spent most of the time looking at the ground and was always bottom hen. We did spoil her and she was happy to perch on DH's feet and eat from his hand - she had a sweet nature and, to paraphrase Sir Brucie, she was our favourite.

It was sad to see her go and we will miss her, but she had had a good life out of the cage and had slowed down in recent months, so it wasn't unexpected. On the plus side, she loved to poo on the decking of my summerhouse - I won't miss that!!!

RIP sweet Florence xxxxx

We lost Rosa this afternoon.

She'd gone through some hard times. As an ex-batt she'd been through one major change when a friend of ours rescued her. Then last Autumn one or more foxes took her flock, and she was the only survivor. She wasn't happy, wouldn't leave the dog's side, so we agreed to adopt her and added her to our young flock - which she promptly beat her way to the top of! But then she settled down and proved to be a real babe, sometimes seen mothering a sablepoot under her wing at night! :)

We don't know how old she was (her previous owner couldn't recall which "generation" she was from), but guess she was at least 4. The last few days she became very apathetic, lost interest in food, even treats, and today she just wanted to sleep. There was no sign of illness otherwise.

I think we gave her a happy few months. RIP, dear girl.

Poppet our GNR passed away on Saturday, aged 4. She was the last of our original chickens and had worked her way up the pecking order, being the top chook for the last two years. She will always be our "favourite brown chicken".

She had a bad beak caused by over zealous clipping before we bought her, which meant that pecking small objects was very difficult for her, but she made up for this disadvantage with her body-blocking technique.

Her moaning was legendary, she always let you know when she was upset or unhappy.

She became more relaxed as she got older and would sit for ages on your lap if nothing too exciting was going on.

Sleep well Poppet, you will always be remembered.

IMG_2783_zpsf172ed53.jpgHad to leave Rosie at the vets this morning for her final journey.

A cheeky, chook - not cuddly but she forebore handling and even washing and blow drying without protest. She was an arch feather plucker with may relieve the others now and achieved notoriety for her mini audio performance in Microsoft's Fable Hero video game introduction thanks to my eldest daughter getting her a bit part!

RIP white girl.

Sue

We lost Buddy suddenly on Tuesday evening - she had been poorly at Easter but we dosed her with nutridrops and she was right as rain after that. She was off her food on Tuesday evening which is very unusual for her and then a couple of hours later she was gone.

I don't know how old she was. She belonged to the sister of a nurse at work and was left on her own when her coop mate died so we took her in. That was nearly two years ago and she settled in so well. She was very talkative and I held entire conversations with her, never getting the last word. She terrorised the cats and stole their food at every opportunity. I will miss her lots.

OH and I decided earlier this year that we would not get any more hens until we retire, so we are left with just Pepper now. We have the offer of a home for her with someone who loves his chooks and will take care of her. I don't want to see her go, but think it will be best for her, so I feel doubly sad - it feels like the end of an era.

RIP my lovely Buddy xxx

Stroppy Beryl died today, almost impossible to pick up, pecked me if I got within striking distance, blocked the nest box every day but hardly ever laid an egg - she started to show signs of being unwell yesterday but still managed to steal Agnes mealworms; this morning she wouldn't come out of the house and by the time I got home from the library OH had found her dead in the nest box. I shall miss her.

My little Diva had to be PTS with Mareks yesterday. So young, not even a year, and such a star she was eating grapes right at the end. Little girl I'll miss your wee voice so much.

th_ChickenDiva_05-03-14_zps983bc656.jpg

And my wee Doodle has gone now too :cry: She was one of my very first chickens but unlike Diva reached quite an age. She was a real squawker so I'm not sure I'll miss her wee voice but I do miss her friendly presence - she was always first for any treats and did so like coming into the kitchen.

th_ChickenDoodleondogfoodbin_11-03-13_zpsd7a383fc.jpg

Edited by Guest