Christian

Chicken Memorials

Lady Gaga died in the night... freed from battery hell June 19 2011; so she had 4.5 months of chicken heaven with the sun on her back. she was a bit quiet yesterday and I had to pick her up to put her in the run last night and she was as light as a feather, so must have been fading for a while. RIP little chook.

We've had to have Scrambled pts today. She's been looking sad for a few weeks and we took her to the vets yesterday. Took her back this morning so the vet could have a proper look and it seems she has some sort of tumour that is probably stopping her from being able to get any food inside her.

Didn't think I'd be this upset but she was the friendliest chicken and always liked a cuddle. We will miss her xxx :(

Gertrude left us on Tuesday. She went downhill so fast. She was fine when I let them out on Monday morning, eating her feed and running after mealworms, but when I went to lock them in the run 2 or 3 hours later I found her at death's door. I put her in the coop for safety and shelter, not expecting her to last long, but she managed to survive through the night and died while we were at work the next day. She was the most fragile of the batch, her comb tended to be purplish and though she was eating plenty she seemed to be losing weight. She had 4 months of freedom, I hope she enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed watching her bloom.

RIP gorgeous Gertie xxx

Snowy the chicken changed our lives. She was our first chicken. Our neighbour bought her, a White Star, and a Caulder Brown. I used to look after them when the family went on holiday. Initially Snowy and her friend were given the run of the garden. Three Marsh Daisy hens were added. The garden became trashed and the hens were shut in a very small wooden ark, 8 feet x 6 feet. Snowy became so bored she feather pecked the others. The family went on holiday and - thanks to the Omlet Board :clap: - I knew what was going to happen as one of the hens had no feathers left on her undercarriage. I had ordered a Cube and a Go for my impending Ex-Batts. Snowy was the chicken who crossed the road :wink: and made the yellow Go her own! The family on their return from holiday called her an ASBO chicken and were pleased to be rid of her. Snowy probably had reciprocal thoughts! Advice from the Omlet Board :clap: cleared Snowy out of roundworms :vom: Snowy carried on feather pecking our Ex-Batts when they arrived, so she always lived in the yellow Go in the Walk In Run, but separated from the others by mesh. Each day she went out to her red Go onto a fresh patch of the lawn. Snowy was always jolly and chirpy and sung - in a sweet chicken way. Very keen gardener. :wink: Loved Garvo and had live mealworms delivered every fortnight. Once last summer she had red mite :evil: but she enjoyed the bath and blow dry in dog shampoo with peritherim (sp) and sulphur powder - once again the Omlet Board advice :dance: She was always a phenominal layer but alas she developed peritonitis 3 October. The vet gave her massive amounts of anti-biotics and pain killer and she recovered :clap: She had a small relapse but recovered from that. Sadly, she had another big relapse a few days ago and when even live mealworms were being refused, we decided to call it a day. :( She was three years old. I believe chickens have full colour vision and can see into the infra-red; Snowy could see into the future - she could see a farm with acres of land, but sadly she now won't be going - but her friends will as we hope to complete the purchase next week. :pray:

Snowy, the little white chicken that changed our lives. Thanks for reading.

My cheeky Amber, found dead in the coop Christmas morning. I will miss you coming into the kitchen looking for s"Ooops, word censored!"s, pinching the puppy food & having a good nosey around the house.

You were only 2 years old. There was no sign of any attack so it looks like you just passed away peacefully & quickly.

Found my lovely Araucana girl Hilda dead in the run this morning :(

She was a real character- always flying up onto my shoulder for a parade around the garden when younger.

She'd had a few health issues over the last year, so not a complete surprise- no signs of any deterioration over the last few days though. She had seemed to be in fairly robust health.

Lost my little Sablepoot Martha to an unrelated illness about a month ago too.

A sad few weeks all in all :(

This is for my little Miss P who was a poorly girl from the day we got her, only 18weeks old, not sure what made her ill but she was very thin and in the end she just wasn't strong enough to make it. She lived in my kitchen for a week to make sure she was comfortable but on december 19th she went to the great medow in the sky. R I P Little miss P, you will be missed. xxx

R.I.P. Charity chicken, a Pekin cross who came from MiniMeadows last spring...She had been on the outskirts of the flock for a couple of days, maybe a wee bit subdued but seemed to be eating and drinking OK & no sign of illness. I found her dead in the nest box this morning...

Hoping it's just one of those things, and that there's nothing sinister afoot in the flock - all recently wormed & apparently on good form.

Hey ho...It's life, I suppose :(

RIP Bessie, I hope you enjoyed your 2 1/2 years of freedom with us. Your now up there with your best friends, Ruby and Violet.

You've been going downhill for quite a while, but a moult and the cold weather proved to be too much this time, will love and miss you forever :cry:

It is so sad when the girls die. I have lost a number of my ex batt. girls over the last couple of years and I decided the best memorial to them I could provide was to keep on rescuing more ex batts. I have 8 now and they are just so happy, all have names, all are so friendly and sweet. I get 5 to 6 eggs a day. (cube green)GNR Ewan GNR Lucy GNR Boo GNR Laura GNR Henri GNR Summer GNR Jo (Bluebelle) Moonie. To see them running free is a joy.