Christian

Chicken Memorials

Florence, one of my retired battery hens, died peacefully last night, after two years of freedom and a short illness. She has gone to join her old pal, Nancy. RIP girls, and no more squabbles now.

I have one remaining ex batt, Gerty, from the same rehoming - and she still lays regularly.

It feels important to give some more girls a chance of freedom now, so I've put my name down for three more girls from the April 16th rescue.

RIP Chardonnay, the last of our first 'gang of 4'. I knew she wasnt right, but took the decision to let her enjoy her last few days with her mates, and she had a good go at some mealworms last night. went in her sleep and I found her in the cube this morning. always a good layer, never broody - she had a good life.

RIP Daisy - 2nd March 2011. Found her slumped over just outside the coop door yesterday morning. Vet said she had fluid on her lungs so was probably heart failure :( She was always top chicken and ruled the roost. As an ex-battery hen though I can't be too sad, she enjoyed almost 2 and half years of freedom...Goodbye girl.

Goodbye Strummer. Dear Strummer, you came to us in May 2008, and died during the early hours today, peacefully in your sleep. You were always a friendly, talkative chicken, and despite Polly and later Nico's belief that they were number one you always knew different didn't you? I will always remember the time you fought off the fox. We will miss you. xx

Today we lost little Dolly our Lavender pekin,she had been looking a little frail in the past week but was eating and drinking fine and out and about in the sunshine however this morning I went out to find that she had passed away in the coop :cry: .Debs her friend and partner in crime is looking very lost,I am worried about her being on her own,although we have the 4 large girls the pekins were a definate pair and shared their own little coop.So sad

Hi,

Our dear Gladys had to be put to sleep on the 12th of march...She was suffering with sterile peritonitis..Gladys became ill so a trip to the vets...everyone loved her there she was such a character.After 8 days of AB AND A SCAN which showed up a tumor we new it was for the best.Up until that morning she was coping really well...think the yoghurts and strawberrys did the trick.....but that morning she was looking very forlorn ..not interested in food or water so sadly the time had come...We will miss her cheeky ways especially when she would potter around the kitchen and head straight for the butter dish .She is now 'resting' under my wild plum tree surrounded by primroses.Bless her little heart.Many happy memories of her.......

Sunday 27th March at 4.45 pm

Margot, our beautiful head hen passed away peacefully whilst snuggling on her Daddy's lap

She came to us from the BHWT on June 12th 2010 and in the 9 months she was here, she lived her life to the fullest!

She was a proud, brave and feisty lady, with an amazing personality, who will live on in our hearts forever

We love you Moggie Moggie xxx GNR

Had to have Pip put to sleep yesterday afternoon, she had suffered with impacted crop various times even after her op :( and then every time she layed she would go off her legs and lost so much weight :( so it was the right and kindest thing to do. She died in our arms, Pip you will be greatly missed sleep tight xxx

Alas, having been very poorly all week Faith died this morning. The vet reckoned that the stress of the move etc exacerbated an underlying condition, though was not prepared to guess what it might have been.

As all the other girls are happy and healthy I'm content to remain in ignorance - but so glad I've booked onto Claret's "Avoid the Vet" course in May as I felt really at a loss as to how to help her.

So so sad...I'd wanted a faverolles for so long and she was a lovely gentle bird, on even a few day's acquaintance

The last of our ex-batts was put to sleep today.

On 6th April 2009 our lives were turned upside down (along with half the garden) with the arrival of 4 lucky laydees. Life has never bee the same since ! They have been such fun and so rewarding to have - the garden seems so quiet today with no laydees terrorising the dog, digging up my plants or sun bathing in the corner.

We lost Geri after 9 months (passed away in her sleep)

We lost Dusty after 18 months (egg binding)

We lost Dolly just last week (Bronchitus)

We lost Connie today (Bronchitus)

I can only hope they enjoyed their freedom as much as we did.

God bless my girls - and thank you x

Gwen

Our lovely little Blackrock Gwen is now forever Free Ranging, she died in her sleep yesterday. :(

We had Gwen for 2 1/2 years, she was such a pretty girl and always up for helping Daddy to dig the garden and get rid of the worms :wink:

Thank-you Sweet Gwen for all the lovely eggs you gave us, Rest in peace now, God Bless xxxx

RIP Bluebell, the last of our "original bombproofs", helped on her way on Thursday :cry:

With her sisters, Snowdrop & Buttercup, she taught our labradors that sticking noses too close to feathered creatures was NOT a good idea :roll:, made our garden a livelier place, gave us the confidence to move on to adopting 4 Orpingtons and 4 batties in the space of 2 days :shock: and has overseen the "training" of new members of the flock since the passing of the other two who always ranked above her.

We miss you all girls & thank you for easing our way into the chook world {{{big hugs}}}