Christian

Chicken Memorials

We lost our darling Baked three weeks ago. Third round of antibiotics didn't work and she has joined the great chicken run in the sky. Our vets have been fantastic and so she is still with us on the windowsill, her ashes in a little box, so she can look over the garden and the other girls playing around.

Ginger and Pepper were our first, and so far only, Omlet chooks. They both had to be PTS yesterday, aged about two and a half. Ginger had developed advanced peritonitis and the vet diagnosed that Pepper was developing it as well. As they were always devoted to each other and never apart in life, we felt it kinder to let them move on to the great WIR in the sky together too. They had spent a lovely time pottering in our garden, destroying the lawn and terrorising Kiwi the cat. Very different personalities but both delightful in their own unique ways. RIP my lovely girls.

I've lost the last of my three ex-batts who arrived in January 2010. Bianca was helped on her way this morning, Tiffany a few weeks ago. Up until their last few weeks they were happy ladies, the best of friends and when Tiffany died I knew Bianca would follow soon after. Both will be missed. The other girls were all very quiet this morning, I think they knew.

Sadly had to send my top chook Greta to the great coop in the sky today, she will be sorely missed :cry: . She was the last of my original 6 and was such a lady, even when it came to keeping the others in line. Her best friend Rosie has been looking for her this evening and was heartbreaking to watch.

Goodnight Greta xxx.

Ivy GNR , the last of my original Omlet girls , died this morning. She wasn't herself when I let the girls out - just went back to bed - and when I went to check on her a couple of hours later she was dead in the run. She looked so peaceful lying there in the sun. She had a good life, lived to a good age for hybrid - I think she must just have had her 5th birthday, cos I got her POL in December 2006 - and she was still her usual self enjoyng FR yesterday afternoon, so it is difficult to be too sad.

She was such a character - very reliable layer until the henopause, top escapologist :!: , always first in the queue for treats, and took to following me around like a dog after Holly died and before I got the new girls to keep her company - I am really going to miss her bustling around.

Little Black Betty passed away suddenly this afternoon - the first of ours to die. Less than a year old, an egg everyday, she was always ready to be stroked and cuddled. I let them all out into their enclosure as usual this morning and she seemed as perky as ever but when my husband went to let them out into the yard after lunch he found her dead in the corner of their enclosure. Poor little thing - wish I'd known she was poorly, maybe I could have helped. :(

Lost my Beryl this week. :(

She had sour crop and lost so much weight so I thought it kindest to take her to the vets. My mum took her, as her chook Fizz (who's recently grown spurs and stopped laying) also needed to go to the vet as her abdomen was swollen. My poor mum came home with two empty cat boxes. Fizz had a tumour or something suspect in her abdomen that had ruptured.

I've Christened my catbox the 'catbox of doom' now, as it seems it always comes back empty.

Both will be sadly missed.

Sadly lost Primrose, yesterday. She has been a real trouper, surviving 2 fox attacks and laying soft eggs for about 2 years. She was a feisty lady, a born survivor but her luck seemed to run out finally. I would guess an egg broke inside her, as I could see no reason for her to die otherwise. She was the last of our original 3 chickens.

She will be sadly missed :cry:

Random_Girl66 so sorry to see you lost Black Betty, especially as it's your first loss (it doesn't get any easier whether it's the first or thirtieth). Doubt there was anything you could have done, even if you had suspected. :(

stoice - "catbox of doom"; maybe a cardboard box next time would break the jinx? Sorry to hear about Beryl and Fizz

miffy - poor Primrose; so sorry she's gone (wow, she really did come through a lot in her life!)

My lovely Shirley - who was one of my original Omlet chooks died on Thursday while we were on holiday. I did think she was declining over the last few weeks but I hoped that she would hang on until we got back. She was a grand old lady aged five years so she had a very good life. I will miss her as she was one of my first chickens (Laverne died a couple of years ago). I've now got six girls left and room in the cube!

Flo, the last of my original Omlet girls was pts this morning. She was nearly 4 I'm guessing and had slowed down over the last few weeks. I knew it was time for her to go when she couldn't make it up and down into the cube. She was a feisty old lady but gorgeous and had just got a new coat of feathers. RIP Flo :(

Image0140.jpg

deeley our gingernut ranger and original omlet chicken alongside tweedy was found curled up in the nesting box this afternoon, passed away. she had not looked very well yesterday, very quiet and not moving around much, even for a tomatoe, which she loved. goodbye deeley, thanks for all the eggs girl xx

Violet, Vi hasn't been well the past few days her comb was turning blue and she just stood still all fluffed up. Took her to the Vets this morning fearing the worst. Ronan the Vet said her heart was packing up. We feel really bad Vi was a character we'll miss her. I've buried her in the orchard where the sun shines first thing in the morning......

Violet, Vi hasn't been well the past few days her comb was turning blue and she just stood still all fluffed up. Took her to the Vets this morning fearing the worst. Ronan the Vet said her heart was packing up. We feel really bad Vi was a character we'll miss her. I've buried her in the orchard where the sun shines first thing in the morning......

Your post has made me cry. What a lovely resting place for little Vi. So sorry you lost her.

We lost Gloria (Big G) last week - the first of our Original Omlet girls to go to chook heaven.

She was a fiesty little lady, and as she was always up for a rootle about in the garden under the hedge (that we had called Steve - after the film Over The Hedge).

I suspect she is up in chook heaven giving it what for - that's my girl.

Our last original ex-batt Maud left us yesterday afternoon. She drifted away while sitting in the sunshine, which, if you have to go, is a pretty good way. She had exactly 2 years and 2 months out of the cage as a pampered lady. She was the ugliest of all the girls when we got her, scrawny and bald with a gash down her back and a useless wing. But she quickly blossomed and regained use of her wing and became a very fine hen indeed.

She worked her way from bottom to top of the pecking order but her reign as top hen was brief, and so, mercifully, was her illness. I do think that she was missing her friend Matilda, who died a few weeks ago, as a couple of times I caught Maud gazing around as though looking for her. The two of them were thick as thieves so perhaps they'll now be up to no good together in chook heaven.

RIP my beautiful Maud xxx