Christian

Chicken Memorials

Had Hettie put to sleep today. She got in a bit of a muddle with her legs and the roosting bars yesterday morning and spent the day asleep, standing up in the run. She got in a worse muddle this morning and couldn't walk at all, refused all food and drink. I put her in a box with a bed of shavings, side open to the world and Leia and Blossom, who kept on going to check her. Let her sleep away the morning and went to the vet at lunchtime.

I brought her home and put her back in the egg box so that Leia and Blossom had a chance to say goodbye. Poor Blossom spent a long time with her this afternoon. God speed, Hett, you were a lovely ambassador for ex-battery hens.

Mrs Potts.

Lost our beautiful ex batt Bella yesterday. We got her and 3 other ex batts in July 2010. Bella hadn't really been well since November last year and although she did seem to recover from whatever it was she had back then, she started to go downhill a month ago and despite everything that we tried she died yesterday afternoon. I have to say I haven't felt so upset for ages as I had spent all day with her in the house just watching her and it was awful to see her just fade away. She was our head hen and a lovely girl, always so friendly and she seemed to know her name and loved being stroked and picked up and cuddled and we are going to miss her so much :(

Sadly had to have one of my first batch of ex-batts PTS last week. She had (I think) peritonitis and I went the week before to have her PTS but the vet talked me out of it and suggested trying a course of antibiotics. She had a week of them but never improved . She ended up waddling upright like a penguin, bless her. We took her back last Monday and insisted the deed was done. :cry:

She looked so peaceful afterwards, I knew we'd done the right thing. Sweet chooky dreams Thymey-Whymey. :angel:

Here she is not long after we got her.....still a bit baldy-waldy.

Baldy-Waldy-Thymey-Wimey.jpg

Sadly, I think her fellow ex batt Rosie is going the same way and won't be long before she joins her. Still, they've had almost 2 happy years out of the cage, trashing the garden and being proper hens. I got them in April 2010 from Ian and Mollie at Coventry BHWT.

Parsley, their other friend is, I am happy to say, still laying and still as naughty as ever. :lol:

Poor little Cassandra died this morning. She was our little gold legbar & such a sweetie. Her comb had been turning a funny colour throughout the day for weeks - so we presumed she had a heart defect. This morning, she was dead in the coop.

It was only yesterday that we let her wander in the house on the kitchen floor & the little madame pinched the cats food! :roll:

Sleep well little Cassandra - you will truly be missed. She was 4 and a bit.

Emma.

xxx

First I apologise to Rhonda who never got a chicken memorial as I didn't know there was a section on the website for them :doh:

Little Rhonda was the first of ours to lay. A very skinny yet very happy and friendly little girl who laid us an egg everyday until her last few days on earth. She was a pleasure to have known.

But today comes the sad loss of Esmee who has been off colour for a while. She enjoyed her last night being fed grapes and sweetcorn by candle light in our conservatory. She slept on a bed of fresh straw in her 'get well soon' box. At 3 years old she had a good life! She was the most beautiful chicken you could ever imagine, shot through with gold flecks on her petrol-sheen black feathers. Her feathers were the softest ever. I know we shouldnt have favourites but she was always mine. :shh: The friendliest little chicken, would greet you at the gate, fly onto your shoulder and nuzzle her beak into your ear. If sunbathing in the garden she would fly onto your lap and join you. Losing a chicken really is no different to losing a cat or dog and no matter how many you have lost it never gets easier.

I'm glad she died of old age rather than anything else, and although she was uncomfortable I know she enjoyed her last few hours

RIP beautiful Esmee!

18709024.jpg

Maude and Primrose hopped across the Rainbow Bridge together this morning.

Primrose was my youngest daughter Georgias ginger hybrid hen. She named her Primrose after a line in her favourite Girls Aloud song at the time and it suited her. A cheerful, sociable, well liked hen in our flock, always tolerant of the rough handling of her owner. Primrose was four years old and died after a short battle with peritonitis.

Maude was an ex-batt who would've celebrated three years of liberty tomorrow. She'd been becomming increasingly frail these past few months, every day this month I've wondered if it would be her last but I knew she was trying hard to reach tomorrows celebration. She spent her last day cuddled up in blankets on me or on the sofa watching telly and her last night fast asleep surrounded by her good friends Olive, Tiger, Elizabeth Woodville & Hob"Ooops, word censored!".

I sat with Maude & Primrose in the sun on the grass this morning. I sang Primrose her song and told her how much she'd be missed, especially by Georgia. I spent a long time just inhaling Maude. It might sound odd but both her and Robin smell the nicest of all of my hens, I could happily sniff them for hours. Maude was a mummys girl, one of my favourites and we always had a close relationship. She loved cuddles and liked to be kissed on the top of her head just behind her comb. She'd wrap her neck around mine and tuck her head in, trying to get as close as she could to me. I hate to think of how miserable her life started out but I'm so glad she came home to me.

I was all prepared for Maude to leave me last week, insisting we went out and bought a pot big enough to bury her in and I searched everywhere for a rose bush with a nice name especially for her. I must've visited at least six shops & garden centres, discarding hundreds of roses until I found one named Lucky. I knew immediately that was her rose. She now shares it with Primrose. Maude is and will always be home.

Had to have our beloved Bovans Goldline, Buttercup, put down last week. She developed a limp a few weeks ago but still eating and happy enough but deteriorated in the last two weeks and knew we had to do what was right for her.

She was a wonderful little character and we will remember her always!

RIP Hilda, top hen, who passed away overnight 3rd/4th June. She had a sudden illness, which started while we were away for a few days last week - the vet diagnosed a virulent cold and egg peritonitis, and though we tried to treat her she didn't make it.

When we rescued her she was the baldest, littlest hen - like a lollipop - but she had the feistiest personality and seemed like a survivor. When the vacancy for top hen came up, she had no challengers. She had nearly 10 months out of the cage.

She will be sorely missed by all of us, but mostly Florence (Flo) who we rescued at the same time and who has a deformed spine. Hilda was her protector, so we are giving Flo extra love and attention.

Sleep tight little Hilda xxx

RIP to Picacharole the Faverolle and Agatha the ex-batt who were killed by a fox on Friday. Picacharole was only young and her sister Flavia misses her terribly. Agatha was the last of our ex-batts and had made it to the grand old age of 5 1/2 - she fought valiently but had to be PTS 10 hours after the attack as it transpired she had punctured lungs. So fortunate to have spent her last day with her and that her final hours were peaceful (the wonders of rescue remedy).

Had to have my lovely and very much loved miss pepperpot Moo pts yesterday. Been unwell for a while and couldn't let her suffer any longer as the vet said she had growths on her ovaries. Lost my other girl in January and she hadn't been the same as it was just those two, I think she was heartbroken. At least she can meet Lilly again up in chicken heaven!

Xx

One of our original 3 pepperpots Petal, or Flossie when she was being silly, decided to join the majority last week. She was the prettiest, with a chestnut breast, which came out very strikingly after her moult last year. Starting at the bottom rung, she went to see the vet last year and was put on a course of Metacam (which was fun, as she hated being handled) and then really flourished, became top hen and an impressive eating machine – she could blow herself up like a football and try to hog the treats. Her last egg was about a week previously and being off form and then obviously unwell was due to see the vet again on Tuesday. She beat us to it. From the purple comb and wattles it seems to have been heart failure. She will be missed.

Our lovely girl Hyacinth died in my arms yesterday. She has been fighting IB for some time on and off & as the photo shows was great until about a week ago. So yesterday I handled her to check her over & it was too much - she faded away. So very sad as we adored her personality. These are our original girls so our first loss has hit hard. Rest in peace my angel, you brought so much joy. Xxxxx

IMG_00000065.jpg

my millie has joined the big coop in the sky.

she never really laid any eggs in her lifetime, and was suffering with egg yolk peritonitus.

after many warm baths and cuddles to make her feel more comfortable i decided enough was enough and we put an end to her suffering.

you are in a better place now.

she was beautiful.

chickens2.jpg

We said goodbye to our beautiful Mabel today :( (she was our most friendly girl and the sweetest nature)

We managed to save her from egg peritonitis previously with antibiotics and a lot of TLC - she expelled a lash, but went on to resume laying a couple of months later.

Anyhow, it struck again over the weekend and this morning she was suffering so much that we couldnt let her carry on....

RIP beautiful girl.

Untitled.jpg