Christian

Chicken Memorials

Our little spotty dotty....

Said goodbye today to our beautiful girl 😢 such a gentle, sweet natured little bird. The sweetest patient and gentlest girl.  She will be very missed by us all.

Rest in peace my beautiful, sweet girl.  We will miss you Xxxxx

IMG-20180705-WA0041.jpg

IMG-20180705-WA0015.jpeg

Edited by Natspringy

RIP Little Legbar.

Unfortunately my partner just went out to check them and he found her snuggled up under her wing but completely gone. It looked like she'd just drifted off in the last hour or so. 

There was no sign of sickness or injury, so maybe it was just her time to go. :( 

• Sad 2

Agnes, 4 years old, Rhode Rock.  Passed away 21st March 2019.

A feisty little thing that always laid rubbish eggs and didn't bother laying eggs at all from March 2018 onwards!  A real character who always ran down the garden path flapping her wings like she was on a runway about to take off.  I'll miss her.

agnesforums.JPG

Edited by Hippie Chick
  • Like 1

Lost one of our young Bantams last night.  She looked like she was sleeping when I found her.   Curled up with her head resting near her wing.  She was fine yesterday as she was out and about with the others, looked healthy and even laid an egg 

RIP Cookie.  Just 7 months old 

C0EE673F-4E0B-4CBC-BDF1-0C61F1B3DCFB.jpeg

• Sad 1

Well sad ending, but not before time.  Trigger turned particularly nasty to his girls and us.  He had a lot of freedom here and even that didn't stop him from grabbing the girls by their heads and swinging them round.  Last straw when he jumped on one of the Swedes and trampled on her head because I'd been doing some bumblefeet treatment on her.  The reintroduction about half an hour later with her vetwrapped booties was too nasty to be allowed to continue.  The first time he chased her round the orchard until she found a safe place out of his reach.  I hate dispatching, but he had to go.:-(

The photo below was taken on better terms at Christmas, but he'd already started going for me before then!

I am going to rethink roosters - always wanted one, perhaps he wasn't the best to start with, but there are nicer lads around but maybe not this year because I feel the ladies need time to recover and enjoy their lives now.

IMG-20181229-WA0003.jpg

• Sad 1

He was more obnoxious the other day - he kept calling the girls away from me so they'd run happily to me for their corn but stopped in their tracks and went back to him in the garden.  As a result of that they stayed in their run for 2 days, well, door open with electric fencing on so they could wander around outside but limited so that I didn't have to chase them all around the garden, orchard and field.  Last night I gave them their freedom for a couple of hours to see and they came in when I called, so he was allowed to sit in the sun and wander for his last hours before bed.  Yep, stressful for us all.  

I think that's the trouble - I lost count how many times Trigger had the final warning!  I think you keep hoping, but it's in the genes.  With Jiu Jiu he was our only hatched boy, so was a girl until he crowed - and then we had no choice but to dispatch.  Good luck Minnie&Moose.  

Edited by Valkyrie
Resting on the keyboard! oops

It had to be done DM - he was downright nasty to us and to the girls.  The only one he left alone was Dusty.  She wouldn't allow hanky panky either.  But he was pulling their heads and swinging them round, stamping on them from the side - and not hanky panky either, just bad tempered boy.  They seem to be settling down fine at the moment.  By the way Inga has been getting the bumblefoot treatment - one gone thanks to your instructions.

My little Willie a Barbu d’uccle Cockerel is very sweet.  Got him by mistake fromCostwold Chickens as Millie.  Then he crowed.  But never got round to returning him. 

There’s a FB page to rehome and/or Rescue Cockerels which I used to find Phillip a new home.  Red Rooster Rescue.  If you want another Kerry, try them.  Lots of school hatchlings now.  I wish schools would stop doing that. 

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Poor Pepper - fly high little one.  Lots of hugs for you too AndyRoo.

We're ok. All our original hybrids are coming up to being around about 3 years old (or slightly older), so I was expecting them to start popping off sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Well Goldie has gone to the land of mealworms after a fox attack last night.  Inga disappeared but Goldie came back minus some feathers, the overgrown feather duster that was moulting, which probably helped her escape but she did have a gash.  Patched her up while OH rounded up the other two (Frida and Dusty) as the little ones were inside and safe.  She was eating and drinking but this morning the fever had set in from I'm guessing the toxins.  I had just sourced a vet but the next check and she'd gone.  

Oh and Demon Inga returned without a feather out of place, unscathed, unfazed half an hour later!  Couldn't have been her could it!!!!  She'd been pouncing on Curly who escaped to use the spare nest box and ran the gauntlet twice!  I've put the spare nest box on her side now - but she used the cube instead.  Pfft!

So this morning 5 girls under house arrest with Dusty missing her friend and the evil twins are eyeballing the pekins as usual.  

Hermione died overnight. She was around 10 1/2 years old and had started laying loads of eggs again which I thought was a bad idea but she wouldn't listen to my advice. She was a grumpy and supremely unpleasant chicken all her life but was still part of our family. Here's a picture of her coming in to land at CCH ( Chicken Central Heaven) That just leaves Persephone now who is her sister and the same age. They were usually joined at the wing so I think she'll feel strange. 

IMG_20190810_101954.jpg

• Sad 1

PL - Great picture of Hermione, I'm sorry you have lost her, but I take my hat off to all of you who keep their chooks for so many years, its not something I ever managed, which feels like a bit of a failure.  Anyway, I think certain birds do form close bonds, not all of them by any means, but sometimes the bird who is left does definitely know, at least for a while.