Christian

Chicken Memorials

A few of you may remember my little Sultan cockerel that had the bad eye, he had been living on and off in the kitchen for about four or five months, we tried all sorts to cure his bad eye but it would go through stages of being ok then flaring up again and an outside life became impossible eventually as his eye became permenantly affected , the vet advised that eye removal would probably not solve the problem as the problem affected his ears too :(

We had a long discussion last night and agreed that a solitary life in a cage in the kitchen and a life of pain, eye problems and trips to the vet was not fair on poor 'Gammy' (he had no name but became known as the gammy chicken) so I got up at 6am this morning and culled him while he was half asleep and didnt know what was happening

RIP little Gammy sorry we couldnt sort you out :(

S6005095-1-1.jpg

Hope-hen, another of my first and foremost girls died this morning, being cuddled on my knee :( .

PICT2063.jpg

Thanks to BHWT, she had a good long time out of her cage and thoroughly enjoyed her freedom, as you can see from her most recent photo.

She had been getting slower and more sleepy for the last three weeks or so, though able to move quick enough to get her share of treats right up till yesterday (when she was sneaked a share all of her own). A noisy bully when she was first adopted, she wasn't a hen I immediately fell in love with, but these things creep up on you and she definitely found her place in my heart over her 21 months of freedom. She hadn't been able to take herself to bed for the last few days, so had been lifted into the cube, and had taken to waiting at the bottom of the ladder for her very own cuddle at the end of the day.

Losing five little girls in the last nine weeks, I'm starting to feel a bit like the grim reaper for chickens, but my three older girls had a long time to enjoy freedom and I'm sure the two more-frail little ones made the most of what brief time they had. Wishing them all goodbye, I know each of them brought her own special something into my life.

Buffie hasn't been right for a while, some days she's fine, others she's quiet & subdued......today she didn't some out of the (cube lilac) with the rest of the rabble so when she did I brought her indoors & gave her some Nutri-Drops.

She stayed inside in the sick bay while I took DD to a choir comp (they came 2nd) & when I got back Buffie had passed away.

RIP my feathery baby :cry::cry:

Sha x

BeBe went to sleep for ever this morning. One of our original girls, she was a lovely character, if a little on the pecky side (only to my legs)

She had been a bit quieter for a week or so. I had to look hard for her after freeranging the other day as she had disappeared in the copse and was not moving.

She was still interested in meal worms and was drinking yesterday but just didn't make it out of the nest box this morning. All quite peaceful really and she is not suffering.

RIP hun x

Sorry to hear about all the others on this thread as well but at least they all had great lives.

We found Ping dead on Saturday morning. She was our original Mrs Pepperpot and was 5 years old.

She was never a particularly friendly sort but I already miss her because she was always (to the end) top chook and always there. She taught all our later ex-bats how to be chickens too. She survived a stuck egg, a couple of infections and sterile peritonitis last year, and still remained top chickent hroughout (albeit in the Queen Mother sense towards the end).

She was a lucky chicken having freeranged almost everyday and generally lived like a queen. Her last day was spent sitting in the sun and being hand fed live mealworms. I'm so glad she died peacefully in her sleep in her familiar surroundings.

I'd like to add my Buffie to this sad thread........she left us yesterday morning in the sickbay as she had only just managed to get herself down from the cube after the rest of the rabble got up & wasn't at all interested in breakfast.

She's been up & down & prone to impacted crop since she went broody last summer & starved herself whilst bringing three beautiful Lt Sussex "bufflings" into the world, who are now all very happy in their new homes.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you anymore poppet, we all loved you and miss you very much.

Free ranging forever & always remembered with your lavender bed, which the bees will hopefully use lots in the coming seasons.

Sha x

Just been to let them out and little Eric was dead in the nestbox :( .

She seemed to be a little slower yesterday, but did not seem ill, she was eating & drinking etc. all OK, but hadn't laid for a month or so. She was my fave of the ex-bats, so friendly and always under my feet wanting to be picked up and cuddled.

But she has had just over eight months of freedom, and spent her last day out in the sunshine.

Bye bye little Eric :cry: .

Nicola

lost Lizzie, one of our recent ex battery girls, to a prolapse. Glad she had a nice day free ranging in the sun yesterday. Night night little girl xxxx

I had to send Elliot one of my green egg laying hybrids to the big chicken coop in the sky today :cry::cry::cry::cry: .

She had a bad prolapse and was suffering and infected. I only got her a year ago, she was one of my surprise delivery chickens :( .

4443560410_47c01ea4af.jpg

Sleep well little girl, I hope you having a nice sunbathe with all your other friends in chicken heaven

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jasmine, my lovely Welsummer has just died.

She was a really pretty girl and quite possibly the least intelligent chicken I've ever met. She didn't start laying until she was 40 weeks old, stopped as early as possible, and hadn't resumed this year.

It was very quick. She was fine yesterday, although she did go to bed fairly early. This morning she came out into the garden, but stood in one place. We brought her in and she did a milky disharge on the kitchen floor. Made vet appointment for first thing tomorrow morning (earliest). Tried to syringe some water with Avipro into her, but she wasn't interested. Couldn't temp her with chick-crumb mash.

She spent the day sitting quietly in the sunshine. Put her to bed early, and could see that she was slipping away. SHe died very quietly a short time ago.

We presume she had eaten or ingested something, as she wasn't hunched or showing other signs of coccidosis. The other 4 look fine but we will, of course, keep a close eye on them.

Daft bird. I'll miss her.

I found Lucy dead in the garden when I came home tonight :(.

Here's the only photo I have of her which was taken the day she arrived, when she distinguished herself from the crowd by attacking and pecking me repeatedly, earning her the name of Lucy killer-chicken.

PICT2193.jpg

By the time I came home and found her tonight, she was stiff and cold, but she seems to have died peacefully at the base of the privet hedge. There were no marks on her to suggest any form of attack and no obvious injuries, she looked like she'd just died in her sleep.

Poor little hen had only been out of her cage five weeks and was just about learning that she didn't have to attack everything. I even managed to sit her on my knee for her first cuddle yesterday morning, though with hindsight that may have been because she was unwell then. At least she got to experience a cuddle, along with sunshine (rain, wind and snow), a garden to play in with her new friends, and a human that loved her, with hands that still fed her no matter how often she pecked at them. I wish she could have experienced more and for longer but every day is precious with our girls, especially our ex-batts.

Farewell little Lucy killer-chicken, free-ranging forever.

My wee Fleur has gone :?

She has been winding down just recently, and was slower than normal the last few days, but still pootling around and eating as she always has. This morning, she'd come out of the cube as normal, but was sat in the run looking a bit quiet. I toyed with the idea of bringing her in in a cat basket, but decided that being disturbed wasn't what she'd want, so made sure that she was comfy.

When I went back at lunchtime she'd gone.

I suspect that her dicky ticker had given out as her comb was quite blue; she was over 5 years old and had had a good innings.

I've bagged her up and popped her in the freezer for now, we will bury her at the weekend when Phil comes over; he loved her too and would want to be the one to dig her hole.

6a00ccff89858867310123de0f8b5b860c-500pi

Heres my Darling Poppy!!! She came to us from Omlet on 27th February 2010 and was my little girls chicken. She had been a bit pecked when she came but seemed ok, soon settled in and was a lovely little character.

Had to seperate her from the others on 27th March as the others started to viciously peck her drawing blood. Tried lots of things but they wouldn't let up, all the time Poppy stayed her usual perky self. Scratting about and following me about.

She laid her first egg on the 29th March which was my Birthday and then another on the morning of the 30th. When I went out to put her to bed that night, she had passed away! :cry: Very sudden and unexpected, she was perky and fine!!

RIP Little Poppy

100_4303.jpg