Egluntyne

Hive Alive BBC 2

Sorry I did not like this as I felt it was too dumbed down, plus I too can't stand that Chris Packham.

The stuff about the bees was fascinating but I prefer some of the the bee programmes that have been on.

I suppose anything that raises the profile of bees and gets people thinking about their plight is good though.

Adam Hart made it quite clear it wasn't a programme about beekeeping but about Apis mellifera. Most people know little about bees so a little dumbing down is forgivable, in my opinion.There was some very interesting science :)

I enjoyed it, inaccuracies notwithstanding. I got lots of calls from friends about it as they know I keep bees.

I think there is a problem about natural history presenters and it needs to be addressed. Martha Kearney is a journalist who used to keep bees (allergic, now, I hear). I think Bill Turnbull would have been a better choice. Chris Packham seems to be falling foul of his popularity and has morphed into a leering double joker. His behaviour towards Michaela in the last few episodes of SpringWatch was cringing. Even she looked uncomfortable.

My only real gripe with Hive Alive was the scenes showing them sitting next to the hives with no protection.

Prof Hart has said that the producers found it difficult getting things over with the presenters wearing veils so they had to go commando. He thought most people wouldn't be so daft as too try the same thing, but I'm not so sure :shameonu: