gavclojak

BHWT rehoming 400 homes needed

Hi everyone.

We are doing a colony rehoming this weekend and still need homes for 400 girls. Can any of you lovely people squeeze in a few extra ladies.

If there is any chance you can then please call hen central on 01884-860084 or PM me.

Thanks in advance

It's south east, we are collecting from Essex then rehoming from biggin hill and a few other local areas. I think the minimum is three but give them a ring, they may be happy for you to have two. Thanks so much for the interest xx

Ps my OH wanted posh girls but for me it was always ex batts, so ex batts it was and they really are SO rewarding, watching them flourish is just the best!!!

I can always squeeze in three especially ex batts they are the friendliest girls once you have had them your hooked they really sell themselves they have no fear of humans quite the opposite mine tap my foot to be picked up.

They are so rewarding it is an honour to watch them grow there little pale faces and floppy combs soon redden up they feather up and become unrecognisable from the poor little mites you first bring home :D you will never regret getting them only that you didn't get some sooner :wink:

Thanks so much for your PM..

Your so right about ex commercial girls. I personally think they are the best but I am a tad bias...we still have a few more hens than homes so if there are any of you who can squeeze in a few of these special girls them just PM me..thanks everyone.

I hope today's rehoming went well and they have all gone to lovely forever homes :clap:

Unfortunately it was too far away for me and also I haven't finished working on my OH yet :pray:

TBH our main concern is how robust they are and how likely it is that they will fall ill, as a result of their start in life. Not because I'm not prepared to pay for vets or medication, my girls always get any care they need, it's just that over the last couple of years, I've had SO much bad luck illness wise with my posh girls, I'd worry about the ex batts being worse!

Also it's because of the heartbreak of losing them, I do get really attached, they are my feathery children, which is why my last 2 were pure breeds in the hope they'd be around for longer, which didn't work out as I lost my little Maisie after only a few weeks to mareks :cry:

I'd love to hear your thoughts, am I worrying about nothing?

Oh dear dolly, I totally understand your dilemma, ex commercial girls are more prone to problems with their lady bits for obvious reasons, I have one at the moment with egg peritonitis, but she is a robust little fighter, who hasn't read the rule book...TBH i will have and only ever want ex commercial girls so don't know anything about posh girls.

Yes it is horrible when we lose one of out pets but my personal feeling is that if I give these girls if a happy and peaceful retirement, however long or short that may be and they become ill...then that's Life, yes it's really sad but what is sadder is all their sisters who never get a chance to smell fresh air, dig for worms and taste rain...but this is just my personal view.

FYI the rehoming is tomorrow:) haha it's not too late!!

Edited by Guest

In my experience ex batts are not unhealthy, just unfit from not being able to move around. Of course they are still hybrids so in later life they are prone to the same problems as you'd get if you bought non pure breeds. They do have the most amazing characters though, and it is so special watching them turn from pale faced bewildered things into proper chickens.

Thanks so much for the interest. Total girls rehomed 1900.

After loading all the hens at the farm we had room for ONE last hen and I was lucky enough to go and grab that last hen...she really was a chicken of fate!!!

The rehoming went so well, at the start we were 40 girls over but all those lovely rehomers stepped up and most took an extra one or two so all got rehomed,

The lovely Paula took an extra one and she also took an injured one that had been pecked. High five to Paula and James !!(her photos have been posted)

We only had one poorly girl that look like she has egg peritonitis.she has the classic penguin gait. A trip to the vets today one thinks.

Once again it was so physically exhausting but we are so happy to see those girls go off with their excited new owners