jackian

bald patch on bluebell.

My Bluebell has a bald patch just below her crop about the size of a lime. She seems fine and as far as I know the others have not pecked her. She is eating and drinking .

She is a nervous girl and difficult to catch. I don't think she has lice etc., as the others haven't as far as I can see.

Suggestions please.

Jackie x

My bluebelle (who is also nervous and difficult to catch) has a bald patch on her bum, below her vent. It seemed to never grow back after moulting. She's been de loused, wormed, and I know none of the others are pecking at her (nor is there evidence of her pulling her own feathers out). She doesn't seem in the slightest bit bothered so I've given up worrying about it.

My blackrock Marigold has a biggish bald patch under her chin too - I've also done the dusting for mites and wormed. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all and is her usual bossy, nosy self. The same thing happened last year to my other blackrosk Rosie - but it seemed to disappear after a month or 2.

I am sorry to say that most bald patches turn out to be feather picking unfortunately. I had a terrible case and yet I never spotted it happening at all! The culprit was eating the feathers and the new quils whenever they came through! I was spending so much time and energy and money on anti mite, anti peck etc when it was a nasty habit one had started and taught the rest! Difficult to rectify but in the end I think changing the run around adding distractions everywhere and generally making life miles more exciting has worked so far (fingers crossed definitely!).

Maybe you could check out the 40 boredom busting post as a good start and then google like I did - boredom busting ideas for chickens - it really worked!