mmw109

Automatic Door Opener/Closer for Eglu's

I believe this has been discussed a few times before.

I am considering into creating a kickstarter campaign to build an automatic door opener closer for the eglu go and possibly classic and potentially cube.

I understand that people have reservations/concerns about the system locking chickens out or waking them up too early, but believe there are a number of ways this risk can be reduced (i.e. ways to detect how many chickens are in the house - or using slightly more intelligent light sensors and timers). In the worst case, if I only dared get my eglu to open itself in the morning, but not close at night that would at least save me half the work.

Are there many others who would be interested in such a product ? Is it worth me going through the process of creating this ? (if you look on the internet you will find two competing products for sliding /drop doors, but omlet seem to prefer unusual door designs).

Have a couple of friends who've lost their hens to foxes because their door-opening devices got 'out of sync' or became faulty and hens were let out too early. (Not eglus, obviously.) I think I'd still be quite wary, although it's a great idea if you're able to solve this problem. I'm sure that many will be interested.

To be honest, I've got used to getting up to let my girls out and love being out in the garden in the early morning when no one's around to see me in dressing gown and wellies with wild-woman hair. :lol:

I would desperately like an omlet cube , however i would so miss the automatic opener on my traditional coop.

At present it stands in a large omlet walk in run which i can then open at my leisure to allow them to free range.

I recently aquired a friends chickens and was not expecting the lice that arrived with them,which have been driving me mad, hence my increased desire for an omlet cube.

Not sure I'd want one for every day use, as I think the hens and I both benefit from that hen-to-human contact at each end of the day, but knowing that the door would close or open at the right time when I can't be there (like when stuck in traffic on the way home from work) would be good. I would need to be persuaded on reliability and of safety of the hens.

With the Kickstart, would you aim to build a prototype or go all the way into production?

I personally wouldn't buy one

To me if you cannot be bothered or commit to open/close coop doors then you keep your hens in a secure run and leave the door open

I've heard too many bad stories about hens locked out, hens locked in, hens caught in the doorway and hens eaten when a closer failed to consider them as an option

Please note my views are personal and don't necessarily represent those of Omlet!

These concerns have been raised before.

Our run is probably secure, but given enough time and desperation, I suspect a fox could get in eventually. We feel much happier when the door is closed, and opened at the correct time. Sometimes, if we are out of the house , past dark, then we then have to rush home in a panic to make sure the door is shut as soon as possible. It would be nice if we had a door opener that did this for us. Also if we go away for a couple of days, we're finding it quite expensive to pay someone to come along at dawn and dusk to open and shut the doors.

This is why we've been thinking about an automated solution. We have also considered several advanced ways of setting the time (dusk sensor, link to google day/night feed ...)

Hi I made an automatic door opener/closer for the Cube three years ago. I used a 12" actuator arm which was 36V but used 12V and this made it close so, so slowly. Using a double throw double switch relay and constant 12v supply. I used the double relay because I also added a small garden light which switched on at 1am and a 12v double timer. It works great and I only had to change the timer settings 5 times a year and the birds soon got used to it. Yes, it cost me about £100 but well worth never having to get up early or panic trying to get back in time to lock them in. Apart for the convenience it was a good project. The only permanent change to the Cube was to drill a hole in the door for the bolt, formed aluminium around edge of door to encase the bolt which was attached to the arm to avoid damage. I fit the arm and light high inside using longer screws than the cube comes with to hold the thing in place. Hope this helps if you are thinking of doing something similar.