WillJenkins

Two Colonies?

I bought a Beehaus last summer and so far have managed not to kill my colony, which I'm frankly amazed by considering how thoroughly unprepared for beekeeping I was :)

Now that we come into the 2015 season I'd like to know people's opinions on maintaining two colonies - one in each end of the Beehaus? I understand the advantage the Beehaus's two-hive system has for artificial swarming, but I'm wondering if it's viable long-term to maintain two colonies in it, or whether it's better to stick to using it for re-uniting colonies.

Any thoughts?

I am sorry to disagree but if you look carefully at the instruction manual you will see that at the height of activity for a vigorous colony you should be using more than half the beehaus broodbox.

I must admit my colony has not been vigorous enough so far, but I am absolutely determined to use the back of the box to raise a new Queen this year and that is really where the long box comes into its own. xx

I am sorry to disagree but if you look carefully at the instruction manual you will see that at the height of activity for a vigorous colony you should be using more than half the beehaus broodbox.

I must admit my colony has not been vigorous enough so far, but I am absolutely determined to use the back of the box to raise a new Queen this year and that is really where the long box comes into its own. xx

That's exactly why I said, "You will still need either another, or two 14 x 12 boxes "

By the time you have half a box worth of brood you should have supered and be on the way to raising that queen simply by AS.

However, the posters question was whether you could keep 2 colonies in the one box, and indeed you can with the above caveat.