chickenmum

chicken won't go in coop

I have my three chickens now for about four weeks and they all went nicely in the eglu from day one! Tonight, however, when I checked to close the eglu, two were in, but one was wondering around (I have a large cage with the coop and run in it) and did not or could not get herself in the coop. She huddled down beside the eglu and I had to pick her up and put her in the run and then she wondered in. What could be the matter? It looked as if she could not find her way in...

It may have been just a one off but I would check she isn't getting bullied, sometimes on the way in the lowest in the pecking order have to run the gauntlet and they get pecked by the top girl on the way in. If this isn't the case then check for mites in the coop, not likely but it's worth checking under the roosting bars.

She may just be having one of those chicken moments.... :shock:

Occasionally chickens get caught out by rapidly changing light conditions and it could be a one-off event. It may be getting dark then clouds come over and it suddenly gets too dark for them to see, as their eyesight in low light conditions is very poor. We had one last week and she now goes to bed earlier as a result.

Sorry for the late reply. I have been away. Thanks very much for all your responses. She is fine now, so it was a blib! They now go to bed jointly and have snuggled up when I check on them before I close the coop. I've only had my chickens a month or so but it is amazing how attached you get to them and how lovely they are to have around! GNR