nannyhenny

Will introducing 4 new hens to 2 old ones work ok?

We have had a bad year this year, having lost 4 of our little flock of 6 hens; 1 to old age, 1 to illness and 2 in a fox attack. We've stepped up security and in a few weeks would like to buy 4 new hens to make our numbers up again. The 2 established girls (one is 2 years old, the other only about 9 months) are getting on ok on their own. Will it work to introduce 4 new ones at the same time? I sort of think that the older girls will have squatters' rights and so will hold their own over the greater number of new ones, perhaps? i don't want to upset the current girls as they have had a rough time lately.

We have a separate coop and run inside the big one that the new girls can go in to start with and I have done introductions before - but always of a small number to a big one. It's quite hard work, though, so I'd like to avoid having to do it twice if possible!

Yes, it will work - take things slowly. It's likely that your existing hens will be top of the pecking order since they're mature and already laying but that might change when the new hens start laying. By that time they'll be fully integrated though.

I had two (aged 2 and 1) and didn't want to just add two so went for three! I was off on a weeks holiday at the time in case of problems . I think my timing was good as the "oldies" were both broody and spending a lot of time in the nesting box and I had no problems, just the odd peck here and there and was so very relieved, especially after some of the nightmare stories I've read here on the forum!

I had three hybirds left i was going to get two more but ended up getting three as you do.was harder this time to do intros as normally i get them at night and put them all together.this time had to put them in a separate coop and keep my eye on them free ranging as rudie picked on the new ones terrible.had them six weeks now and they are all together but still have to put 2 of the smaller ones to bed every night. Hopping they get the hang of going to bed instead of me having to get them off my black bin every night.im sure you will be fine.the pecking order soon sorts itself out.

Thanks, everyone. Will go for it! We've got to wait a month longer, though, as our poor Hannah was put down with Marek's Disease (confirmed by post-mortum) and the vet advised waiting for the up to 3 month incubation to see if either of our remaining two are going to show symptoms.