Sparkle1

Two chickens fighting (new owner)

Hi all I am new to owning chickens and have recently purchased two chickens a (gold ranger & Amber star). The gold ranger keeps attacking the Amber star pecking harshly and pulling feathers out. At the moment I keep them in seperate coops at night and have a run each as part of the coop. As I know they don't like being lonely in the day I open the runs so they can run round the top of the garden together and enough space for the Amber star to get away from the gold ranger. Just wondering if this set up I have is okay from other chicken owners by keeping them seperate in the evening night and intergrating in the day time?

Hi, it's always horrible watching one be hurt by another! Others will be able to give you some more advice but just wanted to let you know someone was reading your post! Letting them free-range with plenty of 'escape' space is a good idea and hopefully they WILL settle down in time. Within the run having multiple feeding stations does help as does having something like a log for one to get up a bit higher on can help. We have just 2 chooks and one is a bit of a bully still, even after a year together, when it comes to who gets to the 'treat' or tea bowl but mostly they get along. Good luck and I am sure you'll pick up loads of tips grom reading all the forums on here.

Thankyou for your advice I may cut the chicken wire from both ends of the runs to make a bigger run so they have more space when put back in during the evening then they have a choice of coop to go in at night. If the fighting does not stop can place a board there so seperate again in the evenings. Difficult to watch thats all folks.

I agree, it's completely expected that new birds will squabble while they sort out the pecking order and as long as no blood is drawn they will be fine.

I would keep them in the same coop at night to get them integrated as they will mainly be sleeping anyway but a bigger run is always best :)