loumabel

Broodies!!! Help please

My two bantam favorelles have been broody for three weeks now and I just can't seem to snap them out of it. They have been in the broody crate for a week and actually seem quite happy in it. They hardly eat anything And I have tried tempting them with treats and distractions but no luck. I gave the water melon today and not interested, tuna, even a bit of smoked salmon not budging!

I have been dusting them in diatom to fend off critters but I am worried they just are not eating. Any ideas??? :?

Are they in the crate together? Is the crate raised off the ground? Trouble is its so warm at the moment the air circulating isn't very cool, even at night. You could try putting a towel with some ice blocks under it for them to sit on. Have you checked their poo. As long as they are pooing they are eating. More importantly they need to drink. Wouldn't it be great if someone could invent a magic potion :D . I've never used a broody crate, I just leave mine too it. I think my Pekin frizzle was broody all summer last year. She did hatch though, that was after a few weeks of being broody already.

Hi loumabel, I have a persistently broody pekin and after 3 dys & nights in broody cage I gave up. I just throw her out the run, force her to be a non broody with the other f/r hens then let her back in at night. She does make broody noises all day but I'm just not going to let her sit brooding for weeks.I think Chickabee is right, it is too warm for the broody cage to be effective even up here in central Scotland. Good luck :!: Ax

dancing1.gif

Thanks so much for your replies.

I have given up with the broody cage and just shut them out of the eglu all day and only let them in at 8.00pm to go to bed. They just are not eating though which worries me, they just sit in the corner of the walk in run huddled together looking all puffed up like two pancakes!! I have tried tempting them with all sort of treats but they just refuse. I keep shifting them about too so they can't get too comfy but I do have work to do so can't be behind them all day.

There are no poos to clean out in the eglu so I know they are not eating very much at all :?

Blooming broodies, they drive you mad don't they?! I remember why I liked having ex batts now, you don't get all this nonsense every summer :doh:

Has anyone tried the dunking in cool water thing? It seems a bit drastic but I am desperate to break them even for a few days.

Helga is now on week three of being broodie, had a stint in the broodie cage for 4 days and then went straight back onto the nest, cant keep the eglu closed as other girlies need to lay, and I work full time so now I just leave the back off of the Go up all day long and hopefully soon she will snap out of it.

How about doing what I sometimes do with people who have broodies that can't snap them out but don't want any more birds or cock birds I give them eggs their birds hatch then at 6 weeks they bring everything back I deal with the boys and rear the girls on to either be sold or join my groups :)

No not on grass, on wood chip in a WIR. We have loads of foxes even during the day so can't let them free range sadly.

I might try and rig something up on the grass at the weekend if we are in the garden and supervising they should be ok. Thanks for all the advice, I would love to hatch for someone else as I have no stomach for dispatching the boys but I have no clue what I would be doing so it's probably best For everyone if I don't go down that road.

I just gave them a coolish bath NOT COLD to try and cool them off a bit and see if it helps and they have spent the last hour strutting and preening so I might try that again in a bit. :D