scrambledhead

Feather Pecking Mayhem - Advice Please

Morning All,

I have 4 chickens who refuse to get on, the oldest is an ex bat and she is happy on her own in the day sleeping with the others over night.

The white leghorn is a prolific feather plucker and despite removing her for about 6 weeks she has not lost the habit and has passed it on so it seems to the speckledy and buff sussex, I have removed the buff as she had been quite badly pecked, so she too is on her own in the day and sleeping with company overnight.

They are not able to free range but have a large walk in run with lots to entertain them and their food has a good protein content.

I am at the end of my tether and am contemplating re homing or using bumper bits. I would welcome any advice or suggestions.

Many thanks

We had cannibalistic Wyandottes who after 3 months isolation still had the habit Scrambledhead. Presume you have tried anti-pecking spray, which is something I am not a fan of as it upsets the victim who then can't preen. The other alternatives, apart from culling, are as you say, to rehome or fit a Bumpa beak bit.

Just edited this to add that you won't be able to re-home the feather peckers, just the victims. No-one wants feather peckers in their flock.

Right, it took a while to search through the forum and I still haven't found the post I'm thinking of but still....

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22584

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97251&p=1290394&hilit=bumpa+bits#p1290394

finally found a video:

And if you post your general area perhaps someone from the forum will be able to help you.