Purplemaniacs

Where to put my new chickens?

As you know my chicken numbers have declined as old age has caught up with my mostly aging flock.

On Sunday I collect three new ex batts.

My question is where do I put them?

I have two hybrids in the WIR with the cube. The other sectioned off end of the WIR is empty with an eglu.

I also have an eglu with the bantam babes, 4 bantams in there with an eglu run. And finally a silkie cockerel who is now on his own in another eglu and run.

Do I move the bantam babes into the other end of the WIR?

Do I put the ex batts in the end with the idea that they will be able to see the two hybrid girls who in the end I want to put together or I will end up with one hybrid on her own?

Or if I move the bantam babes into the end of the WIR, the ex batts would be more isolated.

Finally what do I do with Monsiur Noir. I feel sorry for him now he is on his own should I try to mix him with the bantam babes or the hybrids. He is a little silkie, the bantams are Wyandottes and Welsummers.

Any advice would be great as I am confused, perhaps I am over thinking it.But I need to make a decision soon to get things ready for Sunday.

Thanks

Chrissie

Now I don't think I am any more qualified than you to make a decision here. But if it was me I think I would make the banties run as big as possible and put Monsieur Noir in with them. If the babes are anything like my Wyandotte bantams the sizes should work out ok and I'd worry that he might be a bit small to go in with the big girls.

Then as your eventual plan is to merge the hybrids and ex-batts, I'd put the newbies in the sectioned off end of the WIR so that they can get to know the hybrids through the fence, then when the time comes you could remove the partition and give the ex batts and hybrids the whole WIR and choice of Eglu or Cube.

Good luck :D

I'd keep the banties where they are and put the Ex Commercial girls in the sectioned off end of the WIR.

If MN is a cockerel he will help with introductions, so once they've settled in I'd free range the new girls with the flock and him and hopefully there will be less squabbles :)