Egzandra

Feeding the wild birds - mealworms?

Hello Omleteers

We have just moved to Norfolk and have a good bird population in the garden, and the previous owner used to feed the birds so I thought I would carry on with it. Was not sure what to buy, but in the end bought a bag of seed mix, a bag of mealworms, a fat ball and a string of peanuts. I was just a bit concerned about the mealworms because they are so dry. Does anyone know, should I reconstitute them before I feed them to the birdies?

It is quite entertaining watching them. There is a big, portly blackbird who stands on-guard and chases away the other birds. They wait until he is looking the other way and do a swoop on the bird table.

Thank you ANH - that is really helpful. I am trying soaking the mealworms, but strangely enough the birds don't seem to be as interested in them, dry or wet, as I thought they would be - maybe as it is not terribly cold as yet, they are able to find their own insects at the moment.

It might depend on what birds you've got visiting and where you're putting the food. I get a lot of sparrows who come for the suet and the bird food mix but aren't interested in the mealworms. Blackbirds will eat them but only on the ground, not from a feeder or table. Blue Tits are fickle and usually only take them in the spring or when it's really cold, and then only from certain feeders.

Try putting them in different locations and different heights and see what you get.

I've never soaked mine.

Thank you so much to everyone who's responded, will try putting the food in different places, and I have just been on the CJ wildbirdfood website - it looks really good and the postage is reasonable. We've got a pet food shop around the corner with some wild bird foods but not a great selection, so I think I will be using both during the months to come!

Egzandra