Old Speckled Hen

Windy

How's everybody coping with the windy and up to just recently warm weather.

My wooden colony is chomping through the stores and has fondant on this morning.

Lots of spring flowers, tree and blossom, is going to be missed by the bees if we get a cold snap in March.

2014 is a long distant memory ......sigh.

Right the thread on uniting got 10321 hits but only 2 replies.....here's hoping for a little more life

As you know I don't have bees, but have also been wondering what flowers / pollen /nectar will be about when the bees and butterflies are at their busiest when the warmer weather comes.

I'm hoping to get some more Lungwort to go in the garden as these seem to flower for a while.

With regards to your other post with only 2 replies but 10 000 views, someone before commented on posts with so many views, I can't remember the answer but it has happened.

Bumblebees love Pulmonaria :)

Bee forage depends on where you live.

The first early forage would probably be Willow and Gorse then Sycamore closely followed by Dandelions. I was always taught that when the dandelions are in flower is when you should look out for your hives starting to swarm. If you have Oil Seed Rape planted near you the bees love that and the beekeeper will get a crop off it. My honey comes from Bramble/Rosebay Willow Herb and Clover with maybe latterly some Himalayan Balsam. The bees finish their stores up for winter with Ivy nectar.

Add fruit trees and garden flowers to this mix.

If you want to plant for bees concentrate on simple (i.e. not double triple petal things) flowers that bloom when there is little else which is early Spring and Late Autumn. So something like crocus/snowdrop/Lenten Hellebores/Cherry and at the other end of the year herbs left to flower (Oregano, Marjoram and Mint are great favourites), Sedums and Asters.

I've probably left lots out but that's a start.

Oh and poppies.....bumblebees love them.

Bumblebees love Pulmonaria :)

Ah, I knew they had another name, just couldn't think of it.

I managed to get the bees some Hebe so hope they like that.

They also liked last my lupin last year and I do have an apple tree for them to have so hopefully that will give them some nice Spring pollen.

I also have an awful lot of foxgloves. I love watching the big bumble bees go right up inside and come out covered in pollen.