bluekarin

Dentists - argh!

My hubby finally plucked up the courage to visit his dentists today. He has a tooth that was filled, but is still causing him occasionaly excruciating pain if he forgets and bites on it. He also has a front tooth capped which he feels is about to fall off and is really discoloured. The dentist told him his cap is fine and to wait until the bad tooth falls out!!

I think he is seeing the same one my daughter visited recently who told her she needs a filling in one of her back teeth (not bad making it to 18 and not having any problems, and considering the medication she is on too) I was trying to explain to hom she is very nervous, especially about having things in her mouth. Her gag reflex is not great, and brushing can be tricky sometimes. That and due to her chronic pain condition, she and we are worried about it starting up in her mouth. He just didn't seem bothered by any of what we said, and told her to get her teeth xrayed at the hospital and maybe find somewhere that does sedation!

We are now thinking of going the Denplan route, and a different dentist for all of us. We've never done Denplan, so are a bit wary of paying out x amount a month and then being hit with huge bills on top. What are your experiences of it as I would be most interested to hear. We are a family of 5; me, hubby, an 18 yo, a 17 yo and a 16 yo.

I've been with Denplan for over 25 years.

It's important to find a dentist you feel comfortable with, because your Denplan arrangement is with that Dentist.

I was very nervous of the Dentist and had this chap recommended to me. On my first appointment, I took along a small cuddly rabbit, hidden in the pocket of my coat, thinking I could give it squeeze when I was getting stressed.

I had to take my coat off, of course. For a split second I tried to weigh up which was worse: not having the rabbit to squeeze, or having the dentist and his assistant see a 25 year old woman holding on to a comforter. I took the rabbit out of my coat, and sat with it on my lap, squeezing it.

The Dentist was brilliant. He didn't laugh (although he might well have done later, I don't really care), but he did realise that when I said I was nervous, I really, really meant it.

I've had the same dentist ever since.

The Denplan rate is banded, and your Dentist decides which band you should be in after examining you.

The Denplan thing has been fine. I've never had to pay anything on top. I have Xrays once a year, checkup twice a year, hygienist 2-3 times a year, a few fillings, some fillings replaced, I lost part of one of my front teeth biting something (using my teeth to hold a washing line, or something stupid), all that has been covered. I expect there are some exclusions, I just haven't encountered them yet.

Hope that helps.

Thats really good to hear your experience Witchazel. Ive shown hubby your message so he has a bit more info about it. We are just worried we could be paying into something like this, and then have bills on top, so it's sort of like why are we paying all this money, if you see what I mean.

We are in Wiltshire, so Fleet is a bit too far away, but thanks for offering to help.

Thats really good to hear your experience Witchazel. Ive shown hubby your message so he has a bit more info about it. We are just worried we could be paying into something like this, and then have bills on top, so it's sort of like why are we paying all this money, if you see what I mean.

We are in Wiltshire, so Fleet is a bit too far away, but thanks for offering to help.

You will need to be dentally fit before denplan would accept you. If you call the denplan helpline they will give you a list of denplan registered dentist in your area. Have you thought about asking to see another dentist within the practice, that might be a way forward and I have to say from the symptoms your husband is describing it sounds as is he has a fractured/cracked tooth. That usually causes extremely pain on the biting/releasing action.

As for your daughter she needs to have an X-Ray called an OPG as that is taken externally and she will not have to bite on anything thus removing the problem with the gag reflex, some practices have them others refer to hospitals/private clinics. You could get one down privately for around £30-50

I don't know anything about Denplan, I think my dental history which includes numerous abscesses, two apicectomies An implant and a number of crowns, would rule me out! However I just wanted to say that in my view you should look for another dentist - there is no reason anyone should put up with dental pain, and to say your husband should wait until the tooth falls out is completely unacceptable.

I have a lovely NHS dentist, who gives excellent care.