Grandmashazzie

Worming for dogs

Hi wise ones. I was at the vet last evening with a fore mentioned Scruffy who is recovered nicely from panceatitis when the vet spying my brood of foster children asked me how often I wormed my dogs. He then said worms transferred to children via dogs were no thought to be associated with various ailments incl.epilepsy and stomach conditions. He said advice with children under 7 was monthly worming and offered a years supply with a third off for bulk buying. I have done a quick online search and can see nothing on this and even the sellers of worming meds suggest 12 weekly. Has anyone else heard of this?

No, I haven't heard anything about that!

We've got to take the pup for his check up and next dose of worming on Tuesday so I'll ask her.

I would have thought that if it was the case that it would be easy to find documented evidence via the internet :think:

Hopefully someone else will be better informed than me.

Glad to hear that your doggy is doing well :)

The gereral rule of thumb to to worm: Under 12 weeks – every 2 weeks , 12 weeks – 6 months – every, 6 months onwards – every 3 months routinely with adult wormer. However, in the ideal world you would worm every month for roundworm (Toxocara Canis) if you have young children in the house to reduce any risk. Regular poop a scooping and good hygiene (hand washing) will also help. To be honest your children are more likely to pick up an infection from a local park. Having said that, if everyone wormed their dogs for roundworm monthly, this wouldn't be an issue :think:

Most people worm their pets once a quarter for all worm types.

Here is a link to Toxocariasis infection in humans.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Toxocariasis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

You might also find this lifecyle video informative

I always worm my dogs quarterly (along with all the other animals) one of them can't tolerate Drontal, so they get Panacur liquid, which they hate. I always used to worm Rosie with Ovexwhen she was little, around the same time too. I sometimes take one myself, but good hygiene si the best way of preventing them.