Jihipith

If you started again ...

Hippie Chick: thank you so much for taking the time to post those photos. The 'hen for scale' is brilliant! So you are happy with the Greenfrog? One thing I've been wondering about is the size. There seems a big variation between the amount of inside space allowed by Omlet and Greenfrog for each hen. (So the Small Chicken House is recommended for only three large hens but is much roomier than the Eglu ...) Any thoughts on this?

Sorry for the slow reply.

I think that more room per chicken is better. I looked at the Greenfrog recommendations for space and I was worried that mine was going to be too big for 5 chickens and they would freeze to death in the winter (I worry too much about daft things lol).

However, when I look at them roosting at night, it seems to be a comfortable size for them. There's a bit of jostling for whatever they think is the best perch but no squabbling and there's plenty of air circulation. I have three chunky large fowl, one scrawny large fowl and one large fowl that's only just a bit bigger than some bantams.

Personally after seeing mine 'in action' I'd be hesitant to put the maximum number of the bigger chickens in an Omlet one, but for smaller ones or bantams it may not be too bad. I think in my own coop I'd happily fit another three large fowl in there, making a total of eight so I'm a bit more generous than Greenfrog as well!