sjp

tadpoles

is it normal to have tadpoles in a pond at this time of year? I cleaned a pond out this morning thinking it was late enough for any tadpoles and young frogs to have left it, but it still had both big and small tadpoles in it. the big ones were still tadpoles i.e no legs the small ones were more or less fully formed with just a hint of a tail left some of which were leaving the pond. by small I reckon about 6 long the big tadpoles probably 25mm long 'nose' to tail with the head/body about twice the size of the smaller ones

It's reasonably common to still find tadpoles later in the year. This link from Froglife has more details (see first FAQ on this page):

http://www.froglife.org/info-advice/frequently-asked-questions/spawn-tadpoles-behaviour/

thanks for the link I had looked at that site from a search link but I think it was an old page as it did look as new as your link. the pond's condition fit's for most of the reasons for late tadpoles it also suffered from a complete blanket of duck weed most of which I got out