JM

Large pendulous crop + 'vomit'

Hi All, Hope you're not eating your tea!!

One of my new chickens (got them in August) has a large crop so she looks quite 'bosomy'. She's always been quite big, but I think she's been bigger bosomed for 2-3 weeks. She's otherwise OK - bright eyed, tail up, eating and drinking well, doing all the normal chickens things. She doesn't look at all ill.

They've been in their run today, and I just went down to shut the door and check on them and she looks like she's vomited (pale beige with bits of grass(?). However, as she normally parks herself on the pop-hole entrance between the cube and the nest box, and a couple of others bed down in the nest box, she's managed to vomit all over one of the other girls!! Anyway, I cleaned up the other girl (they were all trying to eat it off her in the torchlight!) - and I took the girl in question out of cube and massaged her crop. There was a certain amount of gurgling as I did it, but she was being feisty, so I put her back so I can check on her tomorrow morning.

Any ideas? Could it be sour crop? I didn't notice any smell, but I wasn't that close to her beak! Her crop is quite soft, but I could feel bits and bobs inside... I wonder if she's just been eating and drinking all day as they haven't been outside...

Thanks in advance

Jill

Sounds like she has a digestive impaction (blockage) which may be due to eating long grass. This then leads to the contents of the crop rotting and a massage will release the gasses building up inside. Vomiting may be due to the pressure building up and being released.

The crop needs emptying, which is a difficult procedure carrying a big risk of suffocation so is best carried out by a vet. Then she needs a water only diet until you are sure the blockage is clear. If she has had a large crop for 2-3 weeks it may be too far down the line for her unfortunately.

I have noticed chickens eat a lot of grass when they need worming, so worming with Flubenvet should be a priority.