LBUK

What can I expect from my quail?

Hi,

I’m new to quail and bought 3 girls at approx 8-10 weeks old. 

They’re in a classic Eglu with run.

I’ve had them a few days and still no eggs. Can they hold on to them if nervous?

At first they seemed quite tame but they seem to be getting more and more anxious of me. Can they be tamed from this age and how might I do it?

What should I give them to do? The run is like a huge expanse of nothingness compared to their size.

I found them as active and adventurous since I got them in the rain today. Do they like rain/water?

Any other personality quirks about quail that might be unexpected? Good or bad.

Thanks

Quail prefer are quite nervous and tend to like places to hide.

They more than likely won't lay eggs in the coop part and will prefer to hide them in the run making it quite hard for you to collect them in an eglu run. Most quail keepers I know keep them in a slightly modified chicken hutch (they will drink from a rabbit bottle) and some have them in large aviaries. 

In my experience, the larger breeds are easier to tame (you don't mention what breed yours are) if handled from a young age often and as long as you don't startle them with quick movements or loud noises.

Give them some places to hide, play etc.. (branches, rocks, plant pots) and the eggs will come soon enough 😀

I kept quail before chickens and they are funny little things. We had them in rabbit hutches so it was easier to collect eggs as they tend to drop them where they are rather that in a nest like chickens do. 

They enjoy lots of hidey holes and a cat litter tray with diatom in to use as a nest box. The girls aren't too nosey but the boys can be! :lol: 

They might not start laying for another couple weeks as they mature and settle in but I'm sure they'll start soon :) 

Thanks for the replies. I’ll get the some hidey places.

I went out last night to close the coop and they were snoozing in the run! Not a walk in so I was on my hands and knees in the dark and wet trying to shoo them in.

I think I like them, but they seem so unpredictable so far.

I’ve had these since Sunday, could I add a couple more to them from the same breeder? Same age etc. Trying to up my chances of eggs.