Leicester_H

Farmers getting rid of ex-bats - any rules ?

Hi - am concerned about a post I saw on Facebook  - about farmer who is getting rid of his battery hens *again* as he is ill.

4800 hens - simply asking people to turn up with boxes (on 3 specified weekends) and pay £2.50 per hen.

Whilst I'd never want to deprive an ex-bat of a lovely home, are there any rules about this ? I assumed commercial organisations would have rules about disposal of livestock?

I realise that 4800 x £2.50 = £12k - a lot of money for a farmer (well anyone, actually).

Do hens need to be checked health-wise ?

Do adopters need to be checked ? Do records need to be kept (suppose eg. avian flu was later found in some of the hens - wouldn't the others need to be traceable) ?

Anyone know about this sort of thing ??

H

As far as I know there are no restrictions beyond keeping details for traceability. It's not like other livestock which require passports/ear tags and CPH numbers.

It's only the same as someone breeding and selling hens, a vet wouldn't need to check them beforehand and buyers aren't checked.

• Like 1