Andrea

Excited hen mummy awaiting rescues advice needed

We are eagerly awaiting two ex battery hens who are arriving Saturday. We haven’t had chickens before and are trying to decide the best place for the Eglu go and run in the garden. If we leave it on the hardstanding with woodchip as a base does it need a layer of something under the concrete ? Any suggestions greatly appreciated 😊

A8BB620C-A371-4B6F-9006-6F04B5F46F8A.jpeg

Thanks for your reply.  We are Just having two hens as the coop and run arnt very big in my opinion. I’m hoping the two will be fine as some have said three would be better. But Fingers crossed 🤞 

We were talking about them kicking stuff out but unless we attach something along the bottom sides of the run I’m not sure how to get around it. 

Three is easier in the long run. When one dies, you are not left with a single hen, which is much harder to integrate with new hens than two.

But I think I wouldn’t put more than 2 in that run. They will be fine as a pair.

I think you could use that plastic band stuff you can also use to keep borders in place.